jQuery not supported.

Bouncing when braking

Bouncing when braking

Postby gmc200753 [OP] » Jul 31 2011, 6:53pm

I have noticed for the past few months that when I am applying my brakes (2007 GMC Sierra SLE Classic, extended cab) I am getting a lot of bouncing from the back end of the truck which causes the whole truck to want to bounce. This problem started back when I drove up part of an embankment with the two passenger side tires going up on about a 40 degree incline and when I drove back down to level ground my driver side rear brake was locking up about every 5 feet, would release and do it again. this happened about 4 times before it finally quit doing that. Now, since then the bouncing has gradually gotten worse.
Haven't really had the time to take the truck back to the dealership due to working to many hours, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.
2007 GMC Sierra Classic SLE, extended cab, 5.3 automatic
Original Poster
gmc200753
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE x-cab 5.3 auto
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Bouncing when braking

Postby WingNut » Jul 31 2011, 10:16pm

Sounds like a rear brake is still trying to lock up. You may have done some damage to the ABS by going up that embankment. You may have picked up some debris inside your wheels and brakes or worse you may have broken an ABS sensor. How fast were you going? I don't think you would've damaged suspension or wheel bearings. Steering/track out of alignment would indicate you did some damage to the suspension and this may affect braking. Also, it wouldn't hurt to grab the top of each passenger side tire and give it a good shake - it shouldn't budge at all. If there is ANY side-to-side play you may have damaged a wheel bearing and that is bad! And, it may give you the symptoms you were talking about.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby gmc200753 [OP] » Aug 01 2011, 9:12am

I had only gone up the embankment at a snails speed as I was trying to go around a car in the parking lot of a gas station. I had thought that maybe something inside the brake asssembly might have bound up for a moment. This bouncing however has gotten much worse in the last couple of months and its time to take it in and see what they come up with. Truck is still under warranty and when I was in Florida a month ago I had taken into the dealership their due to a charging system problem and failed to ask them to check the brakes then. However, their inspection that they do for all vehicals stated that the rear brake pads were in spec. So I figure if when I take it into the dealership here and they try to tell me otherwise than I will have proof on paper that it is not the pads.
2007 GMC Sierra Classic SLE, extended cab, 5.3 automatic
Original Poster
gmc200753
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: SLE x-cab 5.3 auto
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Aug 04 2011, 4:05am

The mechanics don't generally check disk/drum (I assume you have rear disk) warpage when doing a general inspection. Sounds to me like either an abs problem or warped rotor(s). Like WingNut, I'm leaning toward ABS.
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 51
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby swandc » Sep 18 2011, 8:24pm

Glad I came across your post Wayne, I was just about to start a thread on this! I have an '07 Silverado NNBS and mine is doing from the sounds of it the same thing. Mine is out of warranty though so I'm trying to hunt down the root of the evil myself. I haven't gone over any embankments, curbs or anything like that myslef. Whenever I hit the brakes my back end would start to bounce or "pulsate" feeling. I say back end but it felt like that in the front too. I have replaced the front brakes to EBC Green Stuff and replaced the rotors with EBC as well, helped for a little bit. Replaced the rear pads with a brand from Advance Auto Parts since EBC doesn't make anything for the rear drums or shoes. Have gotten rid of most of the bounce or pulsating but still have some there. Truck stops great, has a great feel as far as everything grabbing the way it should. Just that bounce/pulsating that I could do without!
2007 Silver Birch Metallic Silverado LT Crew Cab 4.8 4X2

Smile...it's the second best thing you can do with your lips!
swandc
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 9
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LT 4.8L V8 4X2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Brakes