jQuery not supported.

Brake lines rusted...blow out!!!

Re: Brake lines rusted...blow out!!!

Postby chevellemark » May 26 2012, 7:51pm

I'm just letting people know what to expect when drive these trucks.I wish i knew before i bought mine. Someone is going to get hurt from brakes failing on these trucks because of poor quality lines.When someone spends the kind of money they sell them for, the lines should be at least stainless steel as it doesn't cost that much more for them to make them safe.And people should know about the rusty backing plates issue as well before there emergency brake pads jam up and cause a bad accident. I've always been a chevy man as i have many older cars and trucks.I was driving chevys when you were in diepers and have worked for one of the big 3 for 34 years.My 36 olds still has the same backing plates that came on it new without rusting out.
chevellemark
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Rusted brake lines   Brake Lines?   Will I need longer brake lines??!!   New SS brake lines 02 silvy   Where to get extended Brake Lines   air in brake lines after caliper replacement   Replacing brake lines on a 1999 Sierra   Replacing blown brake lines 1999 Silverado LS 4WD   Rusted Hitch Bolts   Rocker Panels Rusted Out   Rusted rear bumper bolts    Blow Motor Resistor   heater will not blow hot   Make sure new door speakers don't blow. 
Brakes Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby PMEDIC9 » Jul 02 2012, 11:32pm

My truck had it's Brake line from the ABS to rear connector changed out today and they put a new copper line in. It had rotted out at the rear connector and went bad while I was transporting 5 kids in my vehicle. I was lucky it failed on my street and I was traveling under 10 mph. The brake went soft and the brake lamp can on the failure was above the back plate and not a visible area so I had no idea it was that bad. The mechanic also stated it had heavy rust in an area along side the gas tank. I live in the snow belt but my vehicle gets washed all the time including the undercarrage summer and winter. I am also going to file with the NTHSA.
PMEDIC9
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 22
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 5.3 AUTO Ext
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 03 2012, 7:39am

I would immediatly have that replacement line they installed changed with a steel line. You never use copper on a brake system. It will "work harden" and crack.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby PMEDIC9 » Jul 03 2012, 3:57pm

I was told that this line is an alloy not all copper and is new and suppose to outlive the vehicle if it lasts 50 years. it is what a large company Midas installed for me. I'm post surgery and can't spend time under my truck for another month or so. I would be surprised if a company this large would sell anything unsafe however there are many people who know a lot more than me and if anyone could explain more about this I'm all ears because I want the safest truck possible. Thanks for any further input.
PMEDIC9
Topics: 22
Year: 2001
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 5.3 AUTO Ext
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 03 2012, 6:11pm

Never heard of it, but if it was something made specificly for brake line I guess it will be ok. I was just picturing a completely copper tube bursting when you put the brakes on.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby lubelizard » Jul 22 2012, 1:31pm

Recent 03 Sierra owner, and I've noticed the tubing corrosion issue from looking at other 00-03 GMCs before choosing this one. Little surface rust on mine, but I am taking care of that to prevent a future problem. One 2001 Sierra I looked at had so much rust rot on the brake lines within the engine bay, I ran the other way. Not just surface rust where you can wipe it with your hand and see if there's pitting, but thick nasty rust pitting. I was very surprised to see this. A vehicle that is 10 years old, regardless of where it's being driven, should not rust like this in such a critical area. This is an example of short sighted executives saving a few dollars now and taking it in the rump on a class action down the road after they've moved on to another company to destroy. Having an MBA does not automatically imbue an individual with wisdom or common sense.
lubelizard
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8l 2wd ex cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dirtybird819 » Jul 22 2012, 6:26pm

I've had to replace another line since then. It was the line from the BPMV rear input that goes to the furthest output forward on the master. Old line still looks good.
dirtybird819
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Blogs: 2
Year: 2000
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MSUPKR » Aug 04 2012, 4:54am

This happen to me this afternoon I was at a red light and the brake line blew out right near the BCM. I happened to be right next a repair shop which was lucky for me because I was 20 miles from my apt. and just moved to IL and I don't know anyone.
Hypertech programmer
Cold air intake
Gibson Exhaust
MSUPKR
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 1500 Sierra 4.8L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Brake lines rusted...blow out!!!

Postby SilveradoZ-71 » Aug 04 2012, 5:10am

The wife had the exact same thing happen to our 02 Tahoe, rusted right into! Luckily she was in the driveway when it happened! We had bought the truck used and she just had to have it, well I had seen a little rust underneath but apperantly it was more than I thought! I repaired the brake lines and we traded in on a 07 model after owning it for 3 years after the repair ( had 225k on it ).
2008 Silverado LTZ , Bose, Nav, intune, cai, flowmaster, led lighting, 3.5" lift, 20x10 moto metals, 275/65/20 bfg's, lineX
86' K10 SWB 327SBC
SilveradoZ-71
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Year: 2008
Extra Info: Crew Cab LTZ Z-714x4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Drolds72 » Aug 05 2012, 9:52pm

I had this happen on my old 1993. Scared the crap out of me at highway speeds. When I got under to inspect, the outside of the lines really did not look that bad, considering MN winters ect... I was wondering if there was enough moisture in the lines to rot them from the inside out? I am pretty sure I never flushed the lines on that truck regularly, like I do to my vehicles now.
Drolds72
Topics: 4
Year: 2007
Extra Info: White Crew LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Brakes