jQuery not supported.

Brake lines rusted...blow out!!!

Brake lines rusted...blow out!!!

Postby thirdgen [OP] » May 23 2011, 5:58am

I was driving my truck on Friday and I was stopped at a red light. I had my foot on the brake pedal, and after a few seconds, it felt like something popped, and the pedal went flat to the floor. I drove it home like that, and I found that the line coming from the master cylinder to the I think it's the ABS module in front of the gas tank, rusted through and blew out.
Anyonen ever have this happen?
My truck has 182,000 on it, but I googled this problem and a few other people who have had 2000 Silverado's and Sierra's have had this issue also, but with wayyyy less mileage.
Original Poster
thirdgen
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 23
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8 vortec
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Rusted brake lines   Brake Lines?   Will I need longer brake lines??!!   New SS brake lines 02 silvy   Where to get extended Brake Lines   Rotted brake lines and replacement options   Replacing brake lines on a 1999 Sierra   air in brake lines after caliper replacement   Replacing blown brake lines 1999 Silverado LS 4WD   Rocker Panels Rusted Out   Rusted Hitch Bolts   Rusted rear bumper bolts    heater will not blow hot   Blow Motor Resistor 
Brakes Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Brake lines rusted...blow out!!!

Postby koolz71 » May 23 2011, 1:07pm

your lucky u didnt get in an accident. Ive replaced some brake lines on my buddies 95 ck3500..it was an experience..If you have some spare time on your hands its not to hard to do..just have to have the right tools
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby corvet3640 » May 23 2011, 3:50pm

Yup been there-twice, however the vehicle was of a different brand. In this case I thinkg brandin matters less than the geographic location of the truck. If you’re in a corrosive environment where rust is an issue than this is an rust on the line is a concern. A 12 year old truck with near 200,000 it can happen. These brake lines are under serious pressure (depending on system 1000psi +-) and degradation in the lines and a weak spot can let go. Like I said I have had this happen twice, and I walked away safely both time I have learned Never ever mess around with brakes. Keep them top of priority list. It sucks if you blow a tranny or your engine craps out, it is real expensive, but if your brakes go out… Enough preaching-sorry standard brake speech I give everyone I meet because I am lucky enough to meet them! Glad your ok, just have it all checked out and replace anything funky.
corvet3640
Topics: 5
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gmctruckguy » May 28 2011, 6:56am

Wow, never heard of a line rusting out and blowing, have had lines blow but my truck was about 15 years old at the time, not much salt up here though, just a little on the roads in the winter. Glad to hear nothing bad happened.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby morganw » May 28 2011, 2:31pm

mine never blew out, but while having the abs module serviced the stealership, had to replace a couple of the ends because they were severely damaged and ended up twisting the lines and breaking. So a line failure while driving was inevitable, I was just lucky it was found early. The truck spent its entire life in Texass and had less than 100,000 miles at that point. Environment, road salt, ect... did not seem to be the source.
"Gun control is like trying to prevent drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars" -unknown
99 silverado
10 camaro ss/rs
03 600rr
morganw
Topics: 5
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 5spd 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut » May 28 2011, 3:11pm

Wonder if upgrading to stainless steel brake lines would fair any better in your environment?
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 07BlackOps » Apr 04 2012, 4:22am

The FED is investigation 6.2Million Chevy's mainly the 2000-2001 Suburban to the 99-03 Silverado for poor quality brake lines. I contacted the NHTSA and the NTSB at least document it with them. They can possibly issue a recall on the brake lines issues. The lady did tell me today that they have received lots of calls all about the same time regarding the brake lines on those particular models. I might 2000-2500 Complaints in an 8 month span of the same issues. Brake lines corroded and burst. If GM didnt skimp and put stainless in the vehicles this wouldnt happn. But no, they put junk steel lines in to get $.05 a roll.
WHEN IN DOUBT, YOU CAN NEVER USE TOO MUCH PB BLASTER!
07BlackOps
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 48
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dirtybird819 » Apr 14 2012, 6:35pm

Same thing happened to me today. I was at light felt the pop, petal hit the floor. It blew out left rear side. Looked like just past junction fitting so it might be easy fix. Anyone know if these are prebent lines? Or is all the stuff retro fitted?
dirtybird819
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Blogs: 2
Year: 2000
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby olliepop2500 » Apr 14 2012, 6:46pm

i have a 2000 and mine went at like 135k miles it has to be salt on the roads me fuel line broke alittle after that to so if your break lines go your fuel lines might be next. only good thing is u can buy the fuel lines already bent ready to go in from gm
06 silverado ccsb lbz dmax aka beyonce efi live, s&b intake, 5" exhaust 6" tip dumped, 20" chrome rockstars
olliepop2500
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 52
Blogs: 3
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 2500hd lbz dmax
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Apr 16 2012, 12:36pm

dirtybird819 wrote:Same thing happened to me today. I was at light felt the pop, petal hit the floor. It blew out left rear side. Looked like just past junction fitting so it might be easy fix. Anyone know if these are prebent lines? Or is all the stuff retro fitted?

You'd be best off pulling the whole line out and replacing it. I belive you can rent the line bender and flaring tools from most auto parts stores. Bending lines is not hard to do if you have the right tools and good stainless steel line.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Brakes