jQuery not supported.

Front Wheel Bearing Hub

Front Wheel Bearing Hub

Postby SilveradoSPaz [OP] » Jul 30 2013, 3:24am

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2 wheel drive with front disc and rear drum brakes. I am going to do a brake job on my truck and want to replace the front wheel bearings. I have plenty of experience with the old style tapered bearing rotors and I have done fairly complicated repairs on vehicles, including a lifter replacement on my 5.3L GenII. I also work as an industrial mechanic and have access to a decent amount of tools and equipment for doing repairs. Lathes, mills, press etc...

What I am wondering is if anyone has tried to rebuild their own front wheel hubs on the newer style?
Is it possible?
Is it fairly easy?
What Bearings does it take?
Seals?
Special Tools?

I am confident in my ability to take apart and put back together again pressed together assemblies but always try to get a heads up on a job before i start and make sure i don't get stuck waiting on parts or not knowing some specific piece of information that makes it possible to complete.

Thanks In advance
Original Poster
SilveradoSPaz
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LS 2Wheel Drive
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  1999-2003 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD Front Wheel Hub Bearing & Axle   2001-2003 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD Front Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse   Bad Wheel Bearing Hub ???   front wheel bearing replacement procedure   Hub Bearing Assembly Problems   Wheel hub problems   Wheel hub assembly   Wheel hub issues   Best Wheel Hub Assembly's To Use?   Wheel bearing...   Wheel bearing   Wheel bearing??   Front hub 4x4   Wheel Bearing Question 
Brakes Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Front Wheel Bearing Hub

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 31 2013, 5:04am

I've never seen anyone rebuild them. They are easy to replace. I like them much better than having to pack wheel bearings.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Re: Front Wheel Bearing Hub

Postby Wade_660 » Jul 31 2013, 12:40pm

I dont think that they can be rebuilt. It's a sealed unit. Even if you could, replacing would still probably be cheaper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wade_660
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2007
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 NNBS CCSB
Group Membership: