jQuery not supported.

low speed abs deployment

Service questions for abs

low speed abs deployment

Postby 00SierraA [OP] » Apr 18 2012, 3:12am

I have a 2000 Sierra Z71 with about 145k on it and had it for about a year. It has the typical low speed abs deployment issue. The abs light is off so no issues there. I have pulled and cleaned off the front sensors. Still having issue so I decided to replace them with new ones.... still having issues. I am thinking I need to clean the reluctor rings.

My question is how do you clean the reluctor rings off and does the abs system sense rear wheel speed?
Thanks in advance!
Original Poster
00SierraA
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  quiet banging noise while cruising low speed   '99 Silverado high speed/low rpm sputtering   2014 1500, low speed grade braking problem   ABS Wiring   abs comes on when turning   ABS problems   ABS Problem Help   ABS pulsing   abs light   ABS Sensor   ABS self activating   ABS light   ABS Sensor? HELP!   abs light 
Brakes Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: low speed abs deployment

Postby ASTE25 » Apr 18 2012, 7:52pm

I'm pretty sure your truck has 4 wheel ABS, so it will measure the rear wheel speed. Some vehicles on the rear just measure the ring speed of the gear set, so I'm not sure about yours. I'd have to get a repair manual out to see how yours is set up. If you can see the reluctor ring you can spray it off with water or air (stay back if you use air so you don't breath the dust.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 07BlackOps » Apr 18 2012, 8:02pm

In all honesty, Just pull your ABS fuse and be done with it. The 2000-2001's never were right. Mine does the same thing, new wheel hub and still happens. So I think its just a really poor design on GM's part. To pull apart your hub your going to need new seals and a press to get the old bearings out and put them back in. Then to put a new reluctor they are I believe almost $85 for the reluctor ring. Better off just replacing the whole hub assembly. Just my $.02 worth. I have talked to a couple guys locally with 2000-2001 Silvy's and theyve all had the same issue and the GM part is $200 and is a piece of junk, aftermarket is $170+/- $15 and is a piece of junk. Just a really bad design.
WHEN IN DOUBT, YOU CAN NEVER USE TOO MUCH PB BLASTER!
07BlackOps
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 48
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 00SierraA [OP] » May 18 2012, 2:01pm

thats what I thought... the last owner put a grease on hte reluctor rings up front to keep the corrosion down which worked cause the grease is still clear....I can see the reluctor rings nicely....but with the new sensors in there they still deploy abs...
I was kind of wondering if its coming from the rear but I dont know how the rear wheel speed is measured....if it uses the speedo sending unit or something else

as for the abs fuse suggestion.....Thats something I tried but it killed my cruise control which I use a lot so I just unplugged a abs sensor and sealled the plugs off with plastic and zip ties...lol
DareDevil
"If you want PEACE.....prepare for WAR!"
Original Poster
00SierraA
Topics: 2
Extra Info: Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Moosekick » Nov 08 2012, 5:30pm

There is an abs sensor on the transfer case that sends a signal to the ABS system to control both rear wheels together. I have not stumbled across much in the forums about that, but If you have cleaned the front abs sensors, down to clean shiny metal and retorqued to specs and your hubs are in good shape, it might be worth investigating the sensor on the transfer case. It makes sense to me that if the transfer case is worn and the air gap between the sensor and reluctor is off that is where your low speed activation may be coming from.
Moosekick
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Extra Info: 4.8 liter 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RNGRDVE » Nov 08 2012, 6:57pm

Inspect the ft wheel bearings. A loose bearing will cause a loss of signal at solw speeds.
RNGRDVE
Topics: 6
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 5.3L Z-71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Belo83 » Feb 24 2014, 3:33am

going to bump this because mine has been getting worse. I'm wondering if this is a safety issue? Can I just deal with it, giving some room to the guy in front of me at low speed :oops: ?

I haven't tried pulling or cleaning anything yet. Front drivers side hub is new. I have no wobble or any other symptoms other than the truck pulls to the left a little. How hard is it to pull and clean sensors? Can I do it without taking rotors off? My truck has 130k on it and I just don't feel like putting any more money into it or chasing around issue with other sensors in the transfer case and what not. Also I don't get the light. Just the noise.
2003 Silverado LS 4x4
Belo83
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2003
Extra Info: LS 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RNGRDVE » Feb 24 2014, 6:48pm

Rotors do need to come off to remove the sensor to clean it and the hub mounting surface. If you don't want to repair at this time remove the ABS fuse in the under hood fuse block. Do not drive and keep your distance that's not safe. What if a kid comes running across the street in front of you?
RNGRDVE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Belo83 » Feb 24 2014, 7:09pm

RNGRDVE wrote:Rotors do need to come off to remove the sensor to clean it and the hub mounting surface. If you don't want to repair at this time remove the ABS fuse in the under hood fuse block. Do not drive and keep your distance that's not safe. What if a kid comes running across the street in front of you?

i have not experienced any stopping issues like some mentioned, truck stops just fine it's just annoying and the abs does not activate during hard braking or stopping from higher speeds. It more or less drivethrough speeds. My truck is a winter truck, after further research it looks like sensors are braking when being pulled apart anyhow. I might wait till the fall now that I'm no longer driving it and have someone quote the job. Taking rotors off this truck is not easy.
2003 Silverado LS 4x4
Belo83
Topics: 4
Year: 2003
Extra Info: LS 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RNGRDVE » Feb 24 2014, 7:15pm

Are you thinking of the rear rotors. The front rotors come right off these trucks with ease. Sometimes there's a rust buildup causing them to stick a little but nothing out of the ordinary.
RNGRDVE
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next