Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

OEM conversion from rear drum to rear disc

27K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  garret69_10 
#1 Ā·
Does GM have any conversion kits for the 2007-2013 Silverado 1500 to convert from rear drums to rear disc brakes?

#4 Ā·
^^same here. My cousin had a F*rd with 4 wheel discs and had nothing but problems. Because braking power is 70/30 front/rear for half ton trucks, the rear discs rarely get hot enough to burn the gunk off, and they get buildup and go for a dump.

#5 Ā·
Gdtaper, are you talking specifically on this application or in general?

#7 Ā·
If you lived in the rust belt you could use three sets of rotors to one set of pads on the NBS trucks, of course I would always replace the pads to do the job correctly, that is why people who work on these trucks for a living know that braking system sucked. I hope they have it right with the 14's.

#9 Ā·
Prior to 2014 not all 6.2L had a 14 bolt (9.5") rear axle. My 2012 Denali does not. 14 bolt only came with the Max Trailering option. Not even sure the 6.2L without Denali or Max towing has rear disc brakes. I can't find where the 6.2L option forced rear disk brakes, Denali and Max trailering packages did though.

#11 Ā·
why is it then the 1/2ton LTZ has disc all around vs. LT has drum? I do know back when the body change took place 1/2 ton came with disc. and if you did any off road mud /dirt and gravel would get in parking brake and trash the hubs which then didn't help axle seal then you had a leak and if like most steering wheel holders never noticed then bearing failure + well you get the picture ---- newer 3/4 ton has disc all around I had a 98' and the brakes were awful that had drum in rear but all the work trucks where I worked had disc all around. some speak of swapping rears from like a Tahoe which then you're getting into gear ratio's -- what if it's 4wheel drive are the rears compatible? why is it majority of trucks have disc all around and GM keeps going back to drum?

#12 Ā·
n8dh said:
^^same here. My cousin had a F*rd with 4 wheel discs and had nothing but problems. Because braking power is 70/30 front/rear for half ton trucks, the rear discs rarely get hot enough to burn the gunk off, and they get buildup and go for a dump.
In any 4 wheel disc brake set up there's no such thing as a 70/30 front/rear. You'd be nose diving every time you touch the brakes. It's more like a 55/45. Many people notice less read brake wear but that is not due to them working less.
A front disc/ rear drum setup is more than enough braking power.

#13 Ā·
from 07-13, the only trucks that had 4 wheel disk brakes, to my knowledge, were the 3/4 tons and the vortec max, 6.2l trucks. my 08 gmc SLT had drums in the rear and i converted it to disk.

which to the original question, SSBC makes a very nice bolt on and go disk brake kit for the 07-13 chevy and gmc truck. i have their big brake upgrade kit on my 08 and it has been amazing. i noticed a difference right away, especially when pulling a trailer. the stopping power was amazing. also they are very easy to install and even easier to get bled.

Reactions: griffin31670
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.