Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Parking brake

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  OlWhiskey 
#1 Ā·
My parking brakes going to floor like nothing. Is their a way i can tighten the cable i just replaced my drum brakes a month ago so this is somthing i wasnt expected i just know my parking brake isnt catching and now theirs this new rubbing noise coming from the brakes but i figured the two problems go hand in hand. So my question can i adjust the cable and if so were is the adjuster ive found tons of stuff for disc brakes but again i have drums. What do u guys think.

#5 Ā·
I used to hardly ever use an ebrake as well. But after my 91 s10 blazer and 04 blazer both had the ebrakes lock up when I did use them, I was told to use them occassionaly to keep them loose. Salt, snow and ice up north introduce a ton of corrosion and if you don't keep the system loose, you risk having it stay locked up when you finally do. On my O4, I had to take the wheel off and physically loosen the brake every time I did use it because it would lock on.
The ebrake is a mechanical system as far as I know and doesn't rely on brake fluid or anything like that. So, the fact that your ebrake pedal goes to the floor tells me that you have a disconnect somewhere in the system. Is the ebrake cable still attched to pedal? The cable runs under the cab along the frame rail, does that move when you press the pedal? The next place you need to check if the first two are working OK is at the brake on the wheel. Does the brake engage when the pedal is pressed. Some where from the pedal to the brake on the wheel, there seems to be a disconnect. You need to isolate where that is and fix it.

#6 Ā·
Well i know my cable gets tight when i engage the e brake so i checked that its just noticable loose when its engaged like i can sti pull the wire tighter after its engaged im starting to think my ebrake is stuck on cause theirs a slight grinding sound when i cruising around. Do u have any idea how i could fix that? I mean it would explain why its so easy to engage maybe its not letting go. The drums and shoes and springs are brand new. But i will check those after work just be safe but still. Any idea how i might check ir fix a stuck on e brake

#7 Ā·
Did u adjust the shoes to the drums??????

The drums should be just barely touching the shoes when adjusted properly. Thats the first check. then look to see if U did not connect them at all...............

Once that is all done, then U can adjust the cable to where U want then to hold...............

#8 Ā·
I did but with the e brake not working their not self ajusting anymore when i get some time im gonna check to see if their out of ajustment. My maine question rlly is were is the adjustment for the e brake cable thats what i rlly cant find. U know were it is?

#10 Ā·
113abccj said:
I did but with the e brake not working their not self ajusting anymore when i get some time im gonna check to see if their out of ajustment. My maine question rlly is were is the adjustment for the e brake cable thats what i rlly cant find. U know were it is?
The brakes shoes are supposed self adjust when backing up and firmly applying the brakes, provided they were properly adjusted to start with.

#11 Ā·
There is an adjusting wheel inside the e-brake assembly on both sides that you can adjust with some pliers. Had this problem on mine, adjust it to the point where the shoes barely touch the drums and the e-brake feels firm when you push it down. There are clips that hold the shoes in, if they are bent the shoes could have some play and be causing that scraping sound so check that too. Sometimes the shoes can be replaced too if there is no brake pad material left on them. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.