Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

question about bleeding

562 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jaysons 
#1 Ā·
So, I just got done bleeding my brakes for the second time this month. I don't know if I'm being hyper-sensitive to the way my pedal feels now or what. I only bled the fluid in the first place because it was almost black and can't decide if i can feel a difference or not, but the brakes feel soft. I'm pretty sure there's no air in the lines as I've bled them twice now and everything seems fine. I guess my question is: does it matter if the truck is on or not when I'm bleeding? I noticed this time that the pedal travel is significantly shorter when the truck is off, but I can press it further when the truck is on/running.

#2 Ā·
Key on, engine off, when bleeding brakes. this allows the valve in the proportioning box, (on frame, under driver seat area), to do whatever its supposed to do... to a certain point. To get proper pedal travel, the bleed will need to be done via scanner tool. Most shops are capable of performing this task.

But bleeding them yourself, the traditional way, with key on, engine off, will allow you to have sufficient brakes.

There is more detailed info. involved in the whole deal, but this will get you by. I'm confident someone more informed than myself may chime in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.