jQuery not supported.

Rear Brakes Dragging

Rear Brakes Dragging

Postby lsusierra [OP] » Dec 04 2012, 6:11pm

Everyone I am new...this will acutally be my first post. Having issues with what feels like my rear brakes. It feels like they are dragging and it only happens at very slow speeds ( pulling up to a stop sign, pulling through a drive through, about to park) It makes the ENTIRE truck shutter. I am assuming it is my rear brakes because that is where it feels like it is coming from. It seems like sometimes I can PUMP my brakes several times and it won't do it for a while but, when I forget I would swear the rear end is about to fall out the back in end of the truck. I forgot to mention REAR DRUM brakes.

I am sure there maybe posts out there already so if you can just share the link to the post that would be great.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give some recommendations.
Attachments
truck.JPG
Original Poster
lsusierra
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Rear Brakes   Rear Brakes Pulsing   single spring rear brakes   Rear brakes or axle problem   Changing rear brakes on an 01 GMC 2500HD   2010 sierra rear brakes vibration issue   Front tires dragging while turning   Front Driver tire dragging while turning   Rear Windows Will Not Work when using Rear Door Switches!   WTB: OEM rear shocks off Z71 (Rear)   brakes   New Brakes!   Brakes   Going through brakes 
Brakes Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Rear Brakes Dragging

Postby country1911 » Dec 04 2012, 9:41pm

Jack it up and see how difficult the wheels are to turn by hand. They may be adjusted too tight and need to be corrected. There should be a slight drag between the shoes and drum. When you back up or stop on an incline the truck will auto tighten the rear brakes, but they should never over-tighten.
country1911
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: LTZ 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Dec 06 2012, 3:14am

lsusierra wrote:Everyone I am new...this will acutally be my first post. Having issues with what feels like my rear brakes. It feels like they are dragging and it only happens at very slow speeds ( pulling up to a stop sign, pulling through a drive through, about to park) It makes the ENTIRE truck shutter. I am assuming it is my rear brakes because that is where it feels like it is coming from. It seems like sometimes I can PUMP my brakes several times and it won't do it for a while but, when I forget I would swear the rear end is about to fall out the back in end of the truck. I forgot to mention REAR DRUM brakes.

I am sure there maybe posts out there already so if you can just share the link to the post that would be great.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give some recommendations.

Welcome aboard the forum! Any concern and frustration is certainly understandable. If the dragging feeling continues, please consult the a Chevrolet Service Center to have the vehicle repaired or they can also order parts if you choose to repair yourself. All GM parts and labor are accompanied with a warranty period. Keep us posted. Feel free to contact us. I hope your vehicle concerns are resolved quickly.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rct123 » Jan 03 2013, 1:11am

I ma having the same issue with my 2009 GMC Sierra. Did you find out anything? Checked fluid and it was ok.
rct123
Extra Info: 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lsusierra [OP] » Jan 08 2013, 6:38pm

I haven't taken it in, it seems like when it starts doing it if I pump the brakes hard several times it doesnt' do it anymore for several days. It seems to come and go at times and that is what has me confused.
2009 GMC Sierra SLT
Flow Master Exhaust (dumped)
26 inch Bentechi Wheels
Denali Grill with GMC blacked out
Spray in Bed liner
6000k HID headlights and Fog lights
2 10in Kicker Subs with 1000 watt Brutus Amp
Original Poster
lsusierra
Topics: 3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 08 2013, 6:42pm

It could be a brake hose that is starting to deteriorate internally and not allowing the pressure to release. Once you pump it hard a couple times it may breeak the internal obstruction up and allow the fluid to flow again.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby sainthooligan » Jan 17 2013, 7:03pm

For what it's worth- I've got an 07 silverado with the rear drums as well and had to replace the rear brake cylinders recently. My problem was the opposite of yours, the rear brakes weren't necessarily grabbing as they should. I actually went ahead and just replaced them both one was visibly bad, the other I wasn't 100% sure about, so I figured it was better not to take chances and just replace it as well.
From what I figured- in my limited knowledge- was most of the weight of the truck was being distributed to the front when stopping because the rear brakes were either not fully applying or possibly not at all at times due to the bad rear brake cylinder(s) as I had kept burning through brake pads on the front and knew it wasn't from my driving nor from the quality of the brake pads.
Anyway, after replacing the rear cylinders, I haven't had any issues with the brakes whatsoever- I haven't had to change brakes in what feels like forever - which is what I expect with my driving.
sainthooligan
Year: 2007
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes