Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rear disc conversion

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ASTE25 
#1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum, been a chevy truck driver since I was 16. I have a lifted 08 1500 silverado with 35's and I wanted to get a front disc brake upgrade. Was thinking of the SSBC 14" rotor and 6 piston caliber set-up. My first question is has anybody had any experience with these on their truck as far as how easy installation was and performance etc. I was also thinking of taking the stock front brakes and putting them on the rear to get rid of the drums. Is this even possible and if so would I have to get a bigger brake booster and master cylinder and all that good stuff. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

#2 ·
The front brakes will not work on the rear. GM went away from the rear disk brakes due to several problems as well as poor brake performance. I've had an 04 with 4 wheel disk's and my current 05 with the disk front/drum rear brakes. My 05 has a lot better brake feel as well as better brake performance. My opinion is you should stay with the stock set up. If you went with some ven bigger tires you may consider upgrading the front brakes to larger rotors and calipers, but I feel the rear's will be good as they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.