jQuery not supported.

Rear disc conversion

Rear disc conversion

Postby boarderboy217 [OP] » Jul 21 2012, 6:56pm

Hey, im looking at doing a rear disc brake conversion for my 2009 silverado 1500, I was wondering if anyone knows or recommends certain kits or not, another thought is doing a complete axle away with a suburban or Tahoe, I don't want to spend too much but definitely want to get this done
Keith
2009 silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 lt 5.3
Original Poster
boarderboy217
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Rear disc conversion

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 23 2012, 12:34am

The Suburban and Tahoe rear end will not be a direct swap because they use a coil spring rear suspension. I would reccomend staying with the drum rear brakes. 4 Wheel disk is not always the best solution. My 2004 Silverado had 4 wheel disk brakes and it's stopping abality and pedal feel was a lot worse than my 2005 and 2012 which have disk front and drum rear.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 » Jul 23 2012, 12:56am

+1

A much simpler route would be to upgrade the pads and rotors to something from Hawk or EBC.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Topics: 304
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilveradoMark » Jul 23 2012, 1:20am

ASTE25 wrote:The Suburban and Tahoe rear end will not be a direct swap because they use a coil spring rear suspension. I would reccomend staying with the drum rear brakes. 4 Wheel disk is not always the best solution. My 2004 Silverado had 4 wheel disk brakes and it's stopping abality and pedal feel was a lot worse than my 2005 and 2012 which have disk front and drum rear.

Bang on!
The Boat Guy
2006 Silverado LT Extended Cab 4x4
265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 Load Range E
Click here to read my ongoing tire review New tires and a comprehensive review (so far)
SilveradoMark
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby boarderboy217 [OP] » Jul 23 2012, 1:36am

when I purchased the vehicle new, the brakes were amazing but the old style rear drums do not adjust with the wear of the shoes. I've taken them apart, cleaned and lubricated everything and they still don't adjust properly. I drive fast on the highway and often times slam on my brakes and I have terrible brake fade from the front pads since they are doing all the work, hence the topic and post. I have been a mechanic at a Mercedes dealership for 10 years now. Mercedes stopped using rear drums I think in the late 60's. Reason being it costs more to have a drum parking brake with disc brakes but the performance is better with the disc. the post is asking who has done it and who recommends certain products, not whether or not I should do it. Thanks
Keith
Original Poster
boarderboy217
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 23 2012, 2:17am

Well, if you are dead set on doing it then I'd get an aftermarket set up (like from wilwood or someone like them). I'm not sure, but the earlier style rear ends (from the 1999-2007 nbs) may be a bolt in as far as the suspension and axle length. Did you know that the only way the rear brakes self adjust is if you come to a complete stop either going up a hill or in reverse? They will not self adjust unless there is a backwards rocking action when the truck completely stops. You origional post asked if anyone had any reccomendations, and mine was to stay with what you have. If you decide to go for it, let us know what you do and if possible, do a write up on it. I know there have been several threads on here about this subject already.
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 6Sixathome » Jul 23 2012, 2:33am

If you do an axle swap make sure the gears are the same. The nnbs Sierra Denali's have rear disk brakes don't they?
Image Bilstein 5100's, Signal mirrors, ADVENT OGM1, CS-GMTR1B rear view camera,
BBP tuned, AIRAID Jr. with SynthaMax Dry Filter, RX Catch Can, 2014 SIERRA 18" Z71 wheels
6Sixathome
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 59
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: CC 1500 5.3 V8 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby RAFFY » Jul 26 2012, 7:02am

boarderboy217 wrote:when I purchased the vehicle new, the brakes were amazing but the old style rear drums do not adjust with the wear of the shoes. I've taken them apart, cleaned and lubricated everything and they still don't adjust properly. I drive fast on the highway and often times slam on my brakes and I have terrible brake fade from the front pads since they are doing all the work, hence the topic and post. I have been a mechanic at a Mercedes dealership for 10 years now. Mercedes stopped using rear drums I think in the late 60's. Reason being it costs more to have a drum parking brake with disc brakes but the performance is better with the disc. the post is asking who has done it and who recommends certain products, not whether or not I should do it. Thanks
Keith

May i suggest a new less aggressive driving style as trucks aren't race cars. And keep the rear disc brakes, my '05 w/120k still stops on a dime with or without a trailer. Just out of curiosity you don't by chance work at the Mercedes dealership in Naperville. Last I heard it was the mid west's biggest Mercedes dealership.
Scottsdale305: Used to wear them. Always get caught under my heels and wreck the backs
RAFFY: lol he wears heels!!!^^^

BILL RUINED ALL THE FUN THIS DAY :(
RAFFY
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 21
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 6.2L AWD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nomad376 » Jul 26 2012, 9:24am

Go to salvage yard and look for 6.2L Chevy or GMC 1500. 6.2L has four wheel disk brakes.
nomad376
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLT 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby larryn » Jul 26 2012, 9:42am

My 09 6L max tow has disks on the rear also a 3.73 diff. 9.5in. ring gear. They are rare and hard to find.
larryn
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Extra Info: 6L max tow 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes