Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rear Drums are driving me insane!!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Onlyina_Chevy 
#1 Ā·
SO i posted in a thread about 3 months ago about the rear brakes squealing when its cold. As most of the replies in that thread stated, it is normal. Well, it can't be normal anymore considering they now squeal all the freaking time!!! As far as i'm concerned, the performance of my brakes are just fine and the front brakes are wearing normally, too normally for that matter. My truck has almost 50,000 miles on it but i wouldn't think rear drums would wear out that quickly. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what did you do about it?
I appreciate the responses

#2 Ā·
have you taken the drum off and looked at the linings? Sounds like something is improperly adjusted. If it is covered in grease when you pull the drum, then it is probably an axel seal, which could be causing the squeaking. Hard to say tho until you pull the drum. You can also jack up the rear end, and spin the rear tires to try and pinpoint the problem.

#6 Ā·
I've had same problem with the POS rear brakes. Today I just put new drums on, and had new brake pads a few months ago, and the squealing came back. They turned the drums last time so this was my last option. So far so good just only drove it a few miles. We will see what happens. Silverado rear brake drums are junk as far as I'm concerned.

#7 Ā·
Brakes squeal for many different reasons. Some people are tight wads and pay for the crap pads while others may buy the lifetime ones. Sometimes, trapped metal dust reacts with the pads and drums, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the crap brake pad dust reacts as well.

My theory...
As long as the truck stops, you are fine (and 9.999 times out of 10 it does). For the time being, blow the dust out with an air hose, buy the brakes within your budget and turn up the radio. I know it isn't a solution, but sometimes things just can't be helped. Some people seem to have lots of noises with their vehicles that are otherwise unexplainable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.