Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

rear drums out of round by 10k

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ASTE25 
#1 Ā·
i had my truck in for its second oil change about a 2 weeks ago at 9500 and i asked them to check the rotors as i was getting a vibration in the wheel. they determined the rotars were out so they turned them. and later that week when i got home from work i noticed a vibration in the seat while braking. i talked to my buddy(a tech at the chevy dealship i bought my truck at) he said the drums are out of round probably???? there looking at it tommorrow to fix the issue.

i was wondering if anyone else had brake issues with there truck this early? truck is only 6 months old. my dad had issues with his brakes at 6k on his 09 canyon. is there a reasonable solution to these issues??

#2 Ā·
Do you use your park brake a lot? They shouldn't be warping that quickly unless there is something affecting it. For example tight brakes, getting hot while driving and then applying park brake, it may "push" on the drums and if they are hot and malliable enough they may warp. Just thinking out loud.

#3 Ā·
i think i used my parking brake on time just to see if it worked. lol i live in a rural area in a small town so its not really stop and go. the only thing is that i go to my gf's house which is 90 miles away one way each weekend and it is intersate driving so when i get off both interstates the brakes do get warm. but i think it is rediculous that it is like that after 10k. and i always use my manual shifting like going down hills just to hold my truck at a steady speed so that it doesnt "run away"

#4 Ā·
i think i used my parking brake one time just to see if it worked. lol i live in a rural area in a small town so its not really stop and go. the only thing is that i go to my gf's house which is 90 miles away one way each weekend and it is intersate driving so when i get off both interstates the brakes do get warm. but i think it is rediculous that it is like that after 10k. and i always use my manual shifting like going down hills just to hold my truck at a steady speed so that it doesnt "run away"

#5 Ā·
The front rotors on my truck warped at around 15k miles. At that time they were surfaced under warranty. They warped againg at about 29k miles. It was out of warranty then, so I just replaced the front rotors and pads myself. I think the silverado's have a problem with their brakes warping, however, it also has to do with the drivers braking habbits. I think what got mine was the fact that one time I towed a load that was wayyyyy over the rated towing capacity. Since I have replaced them they seem to de doing fine. I have not had any problems with my rear brakes yet.

#6 Ā·
yes they will be fixxed under warranty. i dont tow anything really idk its just weird ive never went in the mud to really get any substantial mud or dirt up in there. we had a f550 dummp truck at work and it has 54k on it and its on original brakes and we usually have 5 ton of dirt in the dump plus our 11k excavator on the back and the thing never shakes . haha and im not a fan of fords i had one for 2 months before i bought my 11 silverado

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.