Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rear drums seized?

841 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ricka182 
#1 Ā·
So my truck is at the dealer for some warranty work, and he calls me back and says that my brake shoes are wore out and they seized in the back. I just drove it last night and there was no squeaking, scraping, or any kind of sound or drivability issues. Truck only has 57000kms on it. I told him this shouldn't happen on a truck with my mileage, and he gave me a quote for $542 to do it. I asked him if it was still drivable and if it could wait until I got a couple quotes, and he said thats fine. How full of s*** is this guy?

#2 Ā·
Sounds like BS to me. Did he attempt to pull the drums? I just did my shoes on my 08... I was able to pry one off with a pry bar.. The other side was on there really good. I threaded screws into the holes until maxed and still had to beat the shit out of it with a hammer to get it off. So I could see if he attempted to pull the drum and he wasn't able to get it off easily he may have said it was seized. If you are not hearing noises, scraping, squeaking etc then im sure hes a full of shit.

#4 Ā·
I just got off the phone with him for clarification, and he said the shoes seized up and basically made a groove on the inside of the drum - the $542 was for new shoes drums and labour

#5 Ā·
Hmm, im not an expert in brakes, but it sounds like your brake cylinder would be bad, as that's what pushes the shoes out to engage the drum... I did swap mine when I changed my shoes. My drums had a slight groove in them, but didn't seem too bad that I should replace them now. But if you change those they will need to be bled. If your not able to tackle it yourself I would get more quotes for sure. I would take it to another place and not mention what the dealer told you at all to see if they come up with the same conclusion as they did... Maybe say you think you may need new rear brakes, can they inspect and let you know.

#7 Ā·
I talked to a mechanic buddy about the situation and he said it might be something with the parking brake not being adjusted properly? But yeah I'm in university and $500 to drop on the truck isn't what I had in mind, especially since I bought it in February and have only put 9000kms on it since the safety when I bought it.

#9 Ā·
Cost wise he's not too far off.. I just paid $593 for rear drums, shoes, labor, and a few other little things I asked my mechanic to do. I also was able to inspect the old parts, and they were for certain time to be replaced.

But IMO, if the shoes were that bad, you would heard and/or felt something.. My shoes were paper thin and had a few bare spots from something that got in them and sped the wear and tear up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.