Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rear Drums

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Silvery13 
#1 ·
This weekend i plan on painting and plasti dipping a few parts. I did a quick search and didnt see much of nothing. Is it ok to paint the rear break drum? if so do i have to use a particular kind of paint? As always any help is alway apperciated?

#3 ·
I was told that if you paint the drums tgey would overheat. I didn't (and still dont) believe it. I have mine painted red. I used caliper paint. I did it mainly to stop rust but I did the front red so I figured why not do yhe back red too.

#4 ·
I've painted many a drum with caliper paint. Cuts down on rust.

#8 ·
Did you paint the entire drum (excluding the inside of course) or did you take care not to paint where the wheel makes contact with the drum? It seems that if you paint the entire surface of the drum the area that makes contact with the wheel will get stuck together and may cause a problem removing the wheel if you ever have a flat.

#10 ·
B Cubed said:
Did you paint the entire drum (excluding the inside of course) or did you take care not to paint where the wheel makes contact with the drum? It seems that if you paint the entire surface of the drum the area that makes contact with the wheel will get stuck together and may cause a problem removing the wheel if you ever have a flat.
I usually cover the center of the hub where the rim would seat, but as long as you use spray paint in thin coats, I don't see an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.