jQuery not supported.

Service brake booster message

Service brake booster message

Postby Phisherman16 [OP] » Jun 09 2011, 3:59pm

Went crashing through some huge mud puddles the other day now I see the service brake booster in the dic. 2004 4x4 where is the brake booster. Is it easy to replace or clean? Can't seem to locate a clear answer regarding this message. I'm hoping a vacuum hose is loose or a dirty sensor. Thanks for helping out a first time 4x4 owner.
Original Poster
Phisherman16
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  help with service 4wd message   Brake Booster   2003 Z71 Service 4WD message   Seafoam Through Brake Booster Line?   Random battery light & service charging system message   2003 GMC Reduced Brake Power Message   Traction control Brake and Stablink message on dash   Service brake system and parking brake light on   RANGE and "Service Stabilitrack" Message   no Service 4wd message & no 4wd   Service Brake System light!!!   Service Brake System Warning   service brake system with abs and parking break light   Service traction control/stabiltrac/trailer brake/ abs light 
Brakes Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Service brake booster message

Postby WingNut » Jun 09 2011, 4:07pm

You need to check your lines IMMEDIATELY for leaks. Sounds like you suffered damage and are now loosing fluid. Go check the fluid level in the reservior and if it's below the fill line, you're most likely loosing fluid. Stop driving untill you get it checked. :!: :!: :!:
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Austin » Jun 09 2011, 4:12pm

The brake booster is that big goofy looking thing behind your master cylinder brake fluid reservoir stuff. Check around that for anything out of the ordinary.
50-1098.jpg
brake booster
50-1098.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 10300 times

Are your brakes soft? Does the brake pedal seem to go further to the floor? Does it sound like air coming from the pedal when it is pressed to the floor? Any fluid under the truck?
chevy astro vans, gas scooters, chevy truck forums | contact me
<?=while ( try() != $success ){ again(); echo "learn and earn"; }?>
Austin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 39
Blogs: 10
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 SLE
Group Membership:
Supporters
Administrators
Registered users

Postby Phisherman16 [OP] » Jun 09 2011, 5:47pm

Fluid level seems to be ok. NOt losing anything. When starting there does appear to be a vacuum or pump
Noise that will stop once I reach 30 mph or idle for a minute or two. The brake pressure and stopping performance remain the same as when I first purchased the truck. To the poster above fluid level meaning brake fluid resivoir or does the brake booster have it's own separate resivor?
Thanks to everyone who has responded.
Original Poster
Phisherman16
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Jun 09 2011, 6:42pm

Initially I thought you might've damaged a brake line while four wheeling; which could've led to fluid loss. If your level appears to be good it might be a sensor problem. I can't remember if the booster reservior in our year/style trucks has a float in it or not. If it does, check that it can move freely and cleanliness of the tank and fluid.

I'm just guessing on this one... IF it turns out to be a one time thing, it's possible that you may have had a couple of hanging calipers from mud and such; causing excessive fluid draw from the reservior.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Brakes