jQuery not supported.

Service Brake System message

Service Brake System message

Postby Duwillia1 [OP] » Sep 26 2011, 11:33pm

I have been getting a service brake system message showing up on my instrument cluster this week. I have done some searching around this forum and some other web searches, but I never found the resolution. This primarily happens when I have to really press the brake petal abruptly.

The brakes seem to working correctly. I just put pads and rotors on the front about six weeks ago.

I have a 2005 Silverado Crew Cab 2WD.

Any of you folks ever had this issue?

Thanks
Original Poster
Duwillia1
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LS 1500 CrewCab 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Service Brake System message

Postby Duwillia1 [OP] » Sep 28 2011, 12:42am

I wanted to update everyone on this one. I am still seeing the message, but not as frequently.

I will probably take it in to let a mechanic look at it later this week.

I will let everyone know the resolution in case you are interested.
Original Poster
Duwillia1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Duwillia1 [OP] » Oct 04 2011, 12:54am

I just wanted to update everyone on this issue. I took the truck to the shop this morning because the chime and message were really annoying me.

The shop ran a diagnostic, and they didn't find any helpful codes. They did check the brake fluid and determined it was pretty low. They had to add about a can. They didn't see any leaks with a visual inspection.

Do you guys know what could have caused the fluid to get that low? Do you think the shop that did the original brake job could have done something wrong? I haven't noticed any brake fluid leaks.
Original Poster
Duwillia1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Troy1 » Oct 04 2011, 7:47am

It sounds to me like they took some out when doing the brake job and forgot to fill it back up or if they changed the fluid with the brake job they didn't bleed them well enough to fill it completely. If you still had some air left in the system it would work its way out and lower the level of the brake fluid, and you might not know it by the feel of the pedal.
Troy1
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2010
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Duwillia1 [OP] » Oct 05 2011, 1:20am

I think you are right Troy. You couldn't tell by the feel of the pedal. But, I will keep a close watch on the level to make sure there are no leaks in the future.
Original Poster
Duwillia1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes