jQuery not supported.

slight brake squeal right before truck comes to stop

Re: slight brake squeal right before truck comes to stop

Postby BIG DOG » Jan 20 2012, 5:06pm

dalejrfan88 wrote:
sportredtruck wrote:Common problem with the 07 nbs. I have the same issue and has never been resolved from the dealer. The squeak is from the rear drum brakes. My tend to glaze over fairly easily and this causes the squeak. The dealer says that the brakes look and function fine other than the slight glaze. They recommended applying the brakes and driving in reverse every once in a while to "clean up the brake". They refuse to change anything. There are others with 07's that I know have the same problem. Good Luck.

Thanks for the post. I had a feeling it may be common. Its very annoying under light braking (i.e) going through a drive thru. Do you think new rear ceramic brakes fix the problem? seems like that would be easier than sanding down and deglazing the factory ones. :cry:

What he said and yes you are right very annoying especially when it's a $25000 truck!
I had this issue had it to the dealer 4 times.They replaced everything and they would still squeal when coming to a slow stop.The last time I took mine in they told me they were glazed and caked with brake dust. They also told me that it would probably come back there was nothing thay could do about it!...... GREAT!
2008 Silverado Z71 5.3 4 spd 4X4 Black crew cab.

Some of the dumbest people I know seem to know everything!........Funny about that!
BIG DOG
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Possible slight brake lockage   Brake pedal goes soft right at the end of a stop   Slight Wheel Shimmy between 65 and 75MPH   Belt Squeal   Belt Squeal   8.1 Slight Clunk/Surge When Stopping/Starting   Right Front Squeak on Slight Left Turn?   New master cylinder install.. slight issues   00 Sierra squeal n squeak   Pulley Squeal, have video.   Slight rattle feeling in floorboard, gaspedal and steering   slight fluid leak around tranny pan bolts.   Whistle or squeal in Rear End   Squeal from left front wheel 
Brakes Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby dalejrfan88 [OP] » Jan 20 2012, 8:30pm

Thanks for the post. I had a feeling it may be common. Its very annoying under light braking (i.e) going through a drive thru. Do you think new rear ceramic brakes fix the problem? seems like that would be easier than sanding down and deglazing the factory ones. :cry:[/quote]

What he said and yes you are right very annoying especially when it's a $25000 truck!
I had this issue had it to the dealer 4 times.They replaced everything and they would still squeal when coming to a slow stop.The last time I took mine in they told me they were glazed and caked with brake dust. They also told me that it would probably come back there was nothing thay could do about it!...... GREAT![/quote]

Yeah. does yours do it on every slow stop or just once and awhile? When i stop fast or normal speed they dont make a sound. I can actually stop the noise "mid-squeak" on a slow stop by pressing on the brake harder...this sucks :(
Original Poster
dalejrfan88
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 28
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 ecotech
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BIG DOG » Jan 20 2012, 10:00pm

Yes it is definetly when I come to a slow stop. If I cram on the brakes or stop with more pedal pressure it doesn't do it only slow stops.

Some of the dumbest people I know seem to know everything!........Funny about that!
BIG DOG
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby slecrew » Feb 04 2012, 8:17pm

I only have a little over 9k on my 11' Sierra and the rear drums squeal when coming to a slow stop. Kind of annoying on a new $40,000 truck! :x
2014 Sierra Denali
6.2L, 4x4, Sunroof, Onyx Black, Black Int.
slecrew
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 1500 6.2L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 [OP] » Feb 05 2012, 12:47am

Yeah it sucks especially on a expensive truck. I was just at the dealer because i had a service air bag light come on. I mentioned this brake squeal and he says that all the new bodies develop this when the rear drums get caked with brake dust ect. He said there is a service they offer for 60 bucs where they service and realign the brakes and clean them up. I may do this because of how annoying its become. the sevice adcisor says "it helps a great deal" in other word "they will still squeak" just not as much :(
Original Poster
dalejrfan88
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BIG DOG » Feb 05 2012, 3:05am

I can believe in this day and age that they can't make a brake stop without squealing .It's probably just because they are buying cheap china sorced stuff to keep the cost down.They can make more profit from us and then make even more when we have to keep taking the truck back it's really a scam as far as I'm concered! I have a 96 volvo no brake squeal I have a 2009 subaru no brake squeal drive in a honda,toyota,and a jeep no brake squeal so as far as I'm concerened they should be able to make a raer brake with no brake squeal if they wanted to.It should be a recall I'd be embarrases if my designers/engineers made a vehicle that squealed at every slow stop.......rant over!

BIG DOG
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 [OP] » Feb 08 2012, 3:40am

BIG DOG wrote:I can believe in this day and age that they can't make a brake stop without squealing .It's probably just because they are buying cheap china sorced stuff to keep the cost down.They can make more profit from us and then make even more when we have to keep taking the truck back it's really a scam as far as I'm concered! I have a 96 volvo no brake squeal I have a 2009 subaru no brake squeal drive in a honda,toyota,and a jeep no brake squeal so as far as I'm concerened they should be able to make a raer brake with no brake squeal if they wanted to.It should be a recall I'd be embarrases if my designers/engineers made a vehicle that squealed at every slow stop.......rant over!

Totally agree with you. I had an 03 silverado that devolped a squeak every time the rear wheels turned and it chirped like a bird. Then I finally invested in a brand new truck in 07 and they still squeak. My 1997 monte carlo that i bought in high school that i stuill drive today has 200 k on the dash.rear drums never squeaked once. this sucks :(
Original Poster
dalejrfan88
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ubuthedog » Mar 14 2012, 8:20pm

Took me 15 minutes in the driveway and 2 cans of brake cleaner, you gotta pop those drums off every once in awhile and clean everything up to stop them from making noise
ubuthedog
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 crew cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 [OP] » Mar 16 2012, 3:21pm

ubuthedog wrote:Took me 15 minutes in the driveway and 2 cans of brake cleaner, you gotta pop those drums off every once in awhile and clean everything up to stop them from making noise

Im glad that cleaning them works. I will probably do that. Fixing brakes really isnt my specialty though. Is it difficult to take those drums off?
Original Poster
dalejrfan88
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ubuthedog » Mar 16 2012, 11:16pm

Nope, just take the rear wheels off and the drums slide off with some force. Its a really easy project, if you can change a tire then you can clean the rear brakes
ubuthedog
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 crew cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext