jQuery not supported.

A/C blows cold and then hot but only on one side

Dual climate controls - drivers side hot, passengers side cold.

A/C blows cold and then hot but only on one side

Postby KY-Kid [OP] » Sep 06 2010, 7:08pm

I have a 2004 Silverado 4x4 with duel temp controls. It recently starting blowing hot air when the a/c is on but it only blows hot air on the drivers side. The passenger side still blows cold. The only way to get it to blow cold again is to shut it off, wait a few minutes and start it back. It doesn't do it every day. So it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what is going on.
Original Poster
KY-Kid
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Extnd cab 4x4 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Heat blows hot to cold back n forth   passenger side blows ice cold, by the floor. lil air vents   A/C works for a few minutes then blows HOT   99 Chevy 1500 AC blows hot all the time even when ac is off   A/C Blows Hot Air! 2004 Silverado Z-71 Stock.   A/C Blows Cold/Cool   Heater blows cold   2008 chevy drivers side sometimes blows warm   White smoke at startup only - cold or hot   AC blowing hot on passenger side   Hot air on driver side.   Defrost putting out hot and cold air at the same time   2002 GMC 5.3L STARTS cold. cranks cranks if motor was hot   drivers side blowing cold air 
Climate Control Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: A/C blows cold and then hot but only on one side

Postby koolz71 » Sep 07 2010, 3:19am

its your blender unit..just had it fixed on my truck, it was covered under my extended warranty..but a PITA to fix..its located behind the dash, on the passenger side..there is a passenger and a drivers blender unit if i remember correctly
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Kilroy » Jul 29 2011, 5:19pm

KY-Kid,

Did you get it fixed yet? My '04 Silv has the same exact problem as your's...

Just wondering how it worked out, and how much it cost you? Did you do it yourself? Etc...

Kilroy
.................\|||/..........................
................(@@).........................
_____ooO_( )_Ooo___________________________
_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|
___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____|
_____|_KILROY_WAS_HERE_|____|_____|____|
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. " ~ George S. Patton
Kilroy
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71 1500 KC 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby chris71 » Aug 28 2011, 2:21pm

This worked for me today!

I just had the same problem after I disconnected and reconnected the battery. The drivers side blew hot all the time no matter what the settings were and the passenger side worked OK. This happened to me about a year ago, but started working OK after I turned off the engine are restarted it. I have not had the problem until a couple of days ago. This time, turning off the engine or ignition would not reset it.

I noticed that the drivers side would blow cold air when the ignition is first turned on, then after about 10 seconds would go to hot. This means the controller and motor actuator are working.

This is what I did to fix it.

Adjusted the passenger side to full hot and the drivers side to full cold and put the system in auto mode.

Then, turned off the ignition and turned it back on. In auto mode you will see the fan speed auto adjusting up and down.

Then, I reversed the settings, drivers full hot (90) and the passenger full cold (60). Put it in auto mode and turn off the ignition and then back on.

The system started working correctly after that. My guess is that somehow the system looses its reference point for temperature, so a restart or two in auto mode will put it back in sync. Hope this helps.
chris71
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Year: 2005
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jerkyking » Aug 28 2011, 11:05pm

That "fix" will work for awhile.... then this problem will only occur more often. You'll find similar threads on the Chevy Avalanche FanClub forum. My 2004 Avalanche did it once last year and three times in June alone. That's the big reason why I traded it for my new Silverado. Most people had that problem earlier on and it was covered under warranty... not so much for me. Its about a $1400 fix to replace some actuator door deep within the dash board.
Jerkyking
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Bad Ass
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Kilroy » Aug 29 2011, 2:24am

Folks... I was installing a gauge and switch for an aircompressor (for my airbags) today, and while I was in there, i replaced the following part: DORMAN Part # 604106

You can get it at www.rockauto.com and search for it. Cost is $108 but it's better than the $264 at the stealer.

My problem was the drivers side going from cold to full hot, and I found it was just a weak motor and worn out circuit board contact slider. I removed the lower dash pieces, bottom cover for the HVAC system, and reached right down on the lower side (near the floor) in the center of the truck and removed the INOP actuator. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish including removing the dash panels.

Works like a champ now... PM me if you want pictures and a better description.

I'm very happy 1) that I didn't have to fully remove the dash and HVAC system like in the Dodge Ram trucks, and 2) that I could do it myself and pay 1/2 the cost by getting it at rock auto.

I hope this helps some of you with this problem, so I can give a bit back to this forum. It's a new truck to me and I got this problem FIXED, DONE, GONE, TERMINATED, NO MORE...

Cheers,

Kilroy
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. " ~ George S. Patton
Kilroy
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Kilroy » Aug 29 2011, 2:30am

By the way JerkyKing, I used to live at K.I. Sawyer when I was a Kid. Fond memories...

Am USAF myself now, 35 years later.

Kilroy
Kilroy
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Jerkyking » Aug 29 2011, 1:14pm

Kilroy wrote:Folks... I was installing a gauge and switch for an aircompressor (for my airbags) today, and while I was in there, i replaced the following part: DORMAN Part # 604106

You can get it at http://www.rockauto.com and search for it. Cost is $108 but it's better than the $264 at the stealer.

My problem was the drivers side going from cold to full hot, and I found it was just a weak motor and worn out circuit board contact slider. I removed the lower dash pieces, bottom cover for the HVAC system, and reached right down on the lower side (near the floor) in the center of the truck and removed the INOP actuator. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish including removing the dash panels.

Works like a champ now... PM me if you want pictures and a better description.

I'm very happy 1) that I didn't have to fully remove the dash and HVAC system like in the Dodge Ram trucks, and 2) that I could do it myself and pay 1/2 the cost by getting it at rock auto.

I hope this helps some of you with this problem, so I can give a bit back to this forum. It's a new truck to me and I got this problem FIXED, DONE, GONE, TERMINATED, NO MORE...

Cheers,

Kilroy

Great... this is a common enough topic in this Forum and a few others I'm a member of. The Dealer will charge from $1400 to $1800 from what I've researched. I think Pics and a more detailed how-to would make for a Great Sticky.
Jerkyking
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Perdi » Sep 02 2011, 4:37am

Hi I am brand new to the board and came it across it by doing a search for this exact issue. It would be great if we could see the step by step fix for the issue. Thank you.
Perdi
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 5.3L L33 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jerkyking » Sep 02 2011, 5:28pm

The first trick to try is: Make sure all your AC/Heat controls are off and disconnect the battery for 5 to 10 minutes (longer wouldn't hurt).

2nd is to pull the HVAC fuse for a few minutes then cycle the controlls (where its directed to your feet, mid level, defrost, etc) while varying the temps to the extremes on both sides every 15-20 seconds or so).

Those are the 2 temp fixes I've heard of... I never replaced anything on mine. Good luck.
Jerkyking
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Climate Control