jQuery not supported.

Ac and heat quit working

All in all it quit working

Ac and heat quit working

Postby Brandonluvshischevy [OP] » May 02 2011, 3:30am

Ok guys I am a rookie at all this but I recently bought a 2003 Silverado and the heat/ac worked fine. One day the ac just stopped blowing cold and the compressor would not kick on.. The heater still worked now a couple weeks later the heat quit as well. I bought some 134a and before installing it I checked the pressure and the pressure was very high in the red(warning). I did read and see that some guys would have the pressure drop once the compressor kicked on. I cannot seem to get it to kick on though. I checked all the fuses I know of. I read that there is a way to short the low and high pressure switches to test it but do not know where they are located??? I checked for power at the comp but nothing......thanks in advance
Original Poster
Brandonluvshischevy
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 L v8 z71
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Ac and heat quit working

Postby Jrluz14 » May 02 2011, 12:37pm

Check the harness under the dash on the passengers side. You only have to pop off the black cover. It's an odd shaped thing sticking out from the bottom of the dash, you'll notice it. Sometimes the wires burn there and short out. It's common on the 03'
Jrluz14
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 RCLB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Ac and heat quit working

Postby Herkel » Jun 21 2011, 10:19pm

the hi and lo pressure switches should be located somewhere between the acumulator (if not on it) and the condensor which between those two you have the hi/lo pressure ports. if you have to much or to little r-134 either on of those sensors will tell the computer to shut down the compressor to avoid damage. to check it correctly make sure you buy one of those expensive 90 dollar guages for the lo and hi side together. not just for the lo side port. also you have have air in the system. this would require a vaccum which any auto shop could be able to do it for you. last resort is that the insides of the clutch (which engages when you a/c is turned on) is bad and needs to be replaced. now yes there is a relay and a fuse for the a/c. there shouldnt be a problem there though. also your orifice tube may be clogged preventing the flow of freon so again a sensor will sence theres not enough in the system and cut off your compressor. hopw this helps
Herkel
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Ac and heat quit working

Postby NYsteve » Jun 21 2011, 11:32pm

Sounds like an electrical issue. Was your system flat (0psi) when you added refrigerant? If it wasn't flat then you shouldn't have any air in the system. Check switches, fuses, wires, harnesses, etc.
Oil leak? What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!
NYsteve
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2002
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control