jQuery not supported.

AC Blower Noise Growl After Cab Filter Replaced

Blower Noise

AC Blower Noise Growl After Cab Filter Replaced

Postby Dr Bobs Patient [OP] » May 17 2017, 10:44pm

I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD that went to the dealership last Saturday for its 22,500 mile service which included changing the cabin air filter. Today, Wednesday, was the first day that the AC was really needed and I found that there's a new growl type noise when the blower is set above 50%. I was impressed that the AC blower was so quite before this so this new noise is a bit disconcerting. Any ideas on what this is caused by? Thank you in advance for any help.
" I keep doing that which I cannot do, in order to learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso
Original Poster
Dr Bobs Patient
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: AC Blower Noise Growl After Cab Filter Replaced

Postby esox07 » May 17 2017, 11:03pm

My guess is that the filter was put in wrong or wrong filter or possibly some debris got into the ducts when they were changing it.
Does it do it when the heat is on with a high fan?
Maybe you could pull the filter out and then see if the noise goes away. That would tell you if it is the filter itself.

Bottom line though, it is something the dealer should be responsible for. Either because they jacked something when they changed the filter or just because the truck is still under warranty even if they are not personally at fault. Take it in and let them deal with it.
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 230
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Dr Bobs Patient [OP] » May 18 2017, 3:23pm

esox07 wrote:My guess is that the filter was put in wrong or wrong filter or possibly some debris got into the ducts when they were changing it.
Does it do it when the heat is on with a high fan?
Maybe you could pull the filter out and then see if the noise goes away. That would tell you if it is the filter itself.

Bottom line though, it is something the dealer should be responsible for. Either because they jacked something when they changed the filter or just because the truck is still under warranty even if they are not personally at fault. Take it in and let them deal with it.

I pulled the filter out and checked it. Appeared to be fine and not hitting the fan. Tried the blower with the filter out and still had the growl. Reinstalled it and contacted the dealership. Another trip back Saturday. I now question my decision to purchase at the least expensive dealership instead of the local dealership as they are 30+ miles away. On a bright note - The 2 yr 24,000 mile service contract is over so I will be back to doing my own oil changes and repairs (except warranty) work. This way at least I know who screws up! :shock:
" I keep doing that which I cannot do, in order to learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso
Original Poster
Dr Bobs Patient
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » May 21 2017, 1:27am

Pull the blower and see if there are leaves in the blower box might be the spurce of noise.
Welcher774
Topics: 60
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Dr Bobs Patient [OP] » May 22 2017, 7:32pm

Welcher774 wrote:Pull the blower and see if there are leaves in the blower box might be the spurce of noise.

Had the dealership do this and mechanic said there was a twig stuck in the blower fins. Problem solved. Now I know when I change the filter to use a flexible hose on a vacuum cleaner to suck out around the blower before putting a new filter in. Seems like a poor design because if there's any debris on top the filter, its going to get down into the blower when you remove the dirty filter.
Original Poster
Dr Bobs Patient
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » May 23 2017, 4:07am

Seen this happy many times with different car companies. Always a good idea to vac out the blower wheel if possible to avoid this issue. Glad it is fixed.
Welcher774
Topics: 60
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Return to Climate Control