Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Dual Climate Problem

41K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  xXdlbXx 
#1 ·
Hey I have a 2005 Silverado with the manual dual climate control. I had both sides on cold with the A/C on and the passengers side was still blowing really hot air. Before it got stuck on just hot air it used to pulsate between cold and hot. Does anyone know what causes this? Also, if I wanted to switch the the electronic controls, is it plug and play?

#2 ·
Probably the actuator gate. My '04 Silverado would do that several times a year. I could turn the truck off and restart it and it would correct itself. Don't think that would have worked very long, but I sold the truck before having to replace it.

#4 ·
I took this from Chevrolet Forum

thedogg7;158513 said:
at any rate, this is what i did. (you'll probably need 7mm & 5.5 mm or the closest standard equivalent, tiny slotted screwdriver, large slotted screw driver for prying, some configuration of extensions, swivels, adapters. i took the black plastic kick plate off from under the dash. i think i had to use a swivel at one point and a 3/8 drive w/ 1/4" adapter because the extension for the 1/4" drive was too long. when you get it removed, you can see the blower motor (bosch) on the far right of the passenger side and its resistor (mine needed replaced because the fan only worked on "5"). You might also have to remove the duct work extension to the passenger side, but it just slides off.

the blend door actuator for the driver side is located just above the corner of the tranny hump on the passenger side. it is mounted to the bottom of the shiny black duct work. you should be able to see the black and red wires on the pigtail that plugs into it. it also has a red clip holding the pigtail in place. >>

>>

the blend door actuator for the passenger side is mounted on top of the duct work directly above the driver's blend door actuator. access to it requires the removal of the glove compartment panel and possibly other dash panels. >>

>>

the mode door actuator is located on the drivers side way up in the dash above the corner of tranny hump. is it mounted on it's side. This is probably not your problem if you trouble is similar to mine, but it's good for reference.>>

>>

At this point, hopefully you are in a quiet place. i put the truck in accessory, turned the fan off and moved the passenger temp control from hot to cold or vice versa. you should be able to hear the actuator motor spinning. listen closely, it's hard to hear. try the driver's side actuator. mine didn't make any noise so i removed the driver's side actuator by unplugging the pigtail, removing the the two mounting screws (gold, 5.5mm), and wiggling it back and forth. the actuator has a hole through the middle of it, connected to a gear inside, that sits on a post. basically, several plastic gears turn inside it, and rotate the hole which has two flat spots to grip the post. the hole moves the post which is connected to the bottom part of the blend door. When you remove the actuator, you will be able to turn the post by hand, and you should hear the blend door moving inside the duct work. If you can't it is stuck and you need to try and free it up. I then used a small slotted screw driver to pry open the actuator. Everything in mine looked good. The gears weren't stripped and nothing looked burnt. I pulled one of the plastic gears out (the one contacting the black one that turns the "hole" ). I repositioned the black gear a little bit. You'll notice is has two contacts that slide along a circuit board. (Circuit boards are like magic to me.) To me, it looked like possibly those contacts slid off the board. With cover off, I used two small wires and the truck battery to test the actuator. Mine was spinning freely. I decided to hook the actuator back up and see what happened. You may have to reposition the black gear to get the hole and the post to line up. If your actuator isn't working or you don't feel like messing with it, a new actuator is about $155. Once I determined that actuator seemed to be functioning ok when I moved the temp control, I decided I would leave the kick panel off for now. If it quit working again, as a cheap fix, I would take the actuator off again and turn the blend door by hand to hot for the winter. When you think about it, there're an awful lot of moving parts, switches, circuit boards and a motor to open and close one stupid little door. >>

> >

Hopefully I helped you more than confused you. I promise it'll make much more sense when you're looking at it. Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I know a lot of my terminology especially with the actuator probably isn't what these parts are technically called, but I'm not really a car guy, I was just cold. let me know if you have any questions or need a picture of something. good luck.
I am going to try it after work and see what I can find.

#6 ·
Ok so...... To replace the passenger side actuator it takes quite a bit of disassembling of the dash. There are a lot of steps but the whole process will be pretty easy, time consuming but easy. I found this guide that was written out by a GM certified mechanic. He wrote it out very well and included pictures. The only thing I recommend is shopping around for the actuator. The website this guy recommends seems to be about $30-$40 more expensive than the ones I have found. Here are the links to his step by step instructions.

I found this part the cheapest on Amazon.
P/N: 15-72971
Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-72971- ... B0011YHOE4

Dash disassembly- http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/03/ ... cover.html

Dash disassembly/actuator removal- http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/03/ ... nging.html

#8 ·
I had a 03 Silverado with manual dual climate. Replace the actuators due to no response by position selection.
Blower went out so I change that.
Resistor worked still.
3 months of good then back to the doors acting up.
So I checked there connections, all plugged and no wires cuts or burns.
Traced wires, all clean and sturdy.
I replaced the resistor and unplugged everything (actuators, climate control and any plugs around).
I blew the vents and nothing but a little bit of dust came out. Everything seemed clean. Plugged everything in and nothing.
Bought a climate control that was used
Plugged it in and boom it was working.
2 days later it stopped and I sold the truck to my dad.
I bought a 04 Silverado, the manual dual climate was in there. A/c and everything worked, then ac stopped. Changed everything(compressor, accumulator, condenser, pigtails) still nothing.
Then winter came, defrost was on and heat was going solid.
Then blower went out, replace it,
Then a week later, doors got stuck.
About 4 days later the doors opened.
Then it stopped. I check everything hurting on money I researched for a fix that was permanent.
Found out my doors were out of sync so I reset them and now I have perfectly working heat and ac.
Maybe this will help and save anyone who reads this some money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.