jQuery not supported.

good blower, no heat..

good blower, no heat..

Postby wcostello [OP] » May 22 2010, 1:19am

hi all. i am also having a heat problem with my new (to me) 2002 silverado 1500. blower works great and truck is running fine, but no heat comes out. a/c is also fine. i see someone posted above that it could have to do with temperature door? could you tell me a little more about that please? i pulled the thermostat and boiled it and it opens and closes fine. i also replaced the climate control, hoping the problem was there when i found one cheap on ebay. i also disconnected both heater core lines and ran the hose through one end.. there didnt seem to be any obstruction, though i know there are prob better ways to check. im just really hoping it's not a bad heater core cause that does not sound like a fun job. any suggestions on what else i can do to narrow things down a bit? advice is much appreciated..
Original Poster
wcostello
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: good blower, no heat..

Postby lzn197 » Jun 12 2010, 4:24am

First thing I would check is to be sure you have coolant flow through the heater core. This can be done by warming up the engine and feeling the temperature of the inlet and outlet hoses. If the inlet is hot and the outlet is cold you may still have some blockage inside the core. I personally believe your problem is with the temperature door itself withing the heater case. I am going from memory but I believe on that year truck they use 3 different kinds of heater cases with air conditioned vehicles. The base unit has a cable that adjusts the door and the cable could have broken or fallen off. With a little time on your back and a flashlight, you maty be able to see the problem under the dash and possibly repair it. The next up level unit has two sliders for temp adjust and they have electronic control motors that move the temperature door. The premium heater case has automatic temperature control which is also electronic door control. The mid and uplevel units may be more complicated than what you want to tackle. I hope this helps.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby wcostello [OP] » Jun 13 2010, 11:21pm

This absolutely helps and I thank you. Can you describe a bit about what I should be looking for other than a broken cable? And where exactly under the dash? Driver side? Thanks again. Much appreciated..
Original Poster
wcostello
Topics: 2
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 1500 4.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Jun 14 2010, 6:47pm

You really didn't say which system you have. Assuming you have the base heater/ac unit the cable will run from the heater control over to the passenger side of the truck, under the dash. If you remove the glovebox door you may be able to see the end of the cable at the temperature door. To see the end at the heater control, you will need to remove the heater/ac control head from the dash and inspect the cable.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Return to Climate Control