Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

windshield will not defrost

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  6Sixathome 
#1 ·
I own a 2007 silverado. Everytime it snow ice will form onto my windshield. I put the defrost on it works only on the middle and passenger side. On the upper corner of the driver side ice forms there. If i put my wipers on to clear the melted snow it will touch where the ice is forming then will form new ice where the wippers go accross. My dad has a 2009 sierra and it does not have this problem. If anyone had any ideas or advice it would be much appreciated.

One thing I should mentions is that my truck has a windshield crackling noise. When driving at high speeds and windy conditions it makes lots of noices which i do believe it is the plastic that goes around the windshield.

#3 ·
+1 Silversurfter
I assume you have put your hand up there to feel if any air (warm/hot) is coming out of the driver side vent??? With a six year old truck, you might be surprised what you might find down in that vent if you looked Ball point pens, gum wrappers, receipts, breath mints, or whatever typically gets thrown up there and is small enough to fit through the vent. I have even heard of mice building nests in them which is something they like to do this time of year. It sounds like you might have to lift the dash to see what is going on under there. On my 2013, I just installed a GPS antenna under mine and it just pops up like any other dash trim.

#4 ·

Pretty much what happens...... When it is snowing I have my defrost on. When the snow melts on my windshield I put my wipers on to clear the water. The water almost immediately turns into ice..... When I need to clear my wind shield again the wipers hit the clump of ice and then brings a streak of ice right into my view. The defogger vent is so small that it won't get heat over to that side of the windshield. When i hold my hand on the windshield you can feel how much cooler it is then center where the vent is located.

I read earlier to try and re-circulate the air in steads of using fresh air, but Iam not sure if the truck will allow me to do that.
I will take off the dash and see if there is anything blocking the vent

#5 ·
The system design will not allow using recirculate when in defrost.

#6 ·
Well, seems that since you are not getting warm air to the driver side but you are to the middle and passenger side, then, probably what is happening is that the ice and snow melts on the middle and passenger side and then when you turn on the wipers it smears the melted snow and ice to the drivers side which is still cold enough for the water to instantly refreeze. You are going to have to figure out if it is a mechanical problem or a blockage and get it fixed before the freezing window issue will be resolved.

#7 ·
esox07 said:
Well, seems that since you are not getting warm air to the driver side but you are to the middle and passenger side, then, probably what is happening is that the ice and snow melts on the middle and passenger side and then when you turn on the wipers it smears the melted snow and ice to the drivers side which is still cold enough for the water to instantly refreeze. You are going to have to figure out if it is a mechanical problem or a blockage and get it fixed before the freezing window issue will be resolved.
I will look into it, thanks for he help.

#8 ·
Is the fresh air intake right below the windshield cleared of snow?, if not it will work harder to defrost the windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.