Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Stripped Torx. Need ideas

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  ricka182 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello All,
I stripped a torx 25 bolt on my duramax last night trying to replace this Fuel Pressure sensor.

FPR.jpg
This is where it's located the guys hand is pointing toward where it plugs in.

FPR 2.jpg
This is what the sensor looks like, the bottom hole is where the bolt is stripped.

the teeth on the torx still grab slightly but I think the bolt itself is what's giving me the problems, the top of the threads are stripped. I was told to try some JB weld and see if that will mate the bit with the bolt and get it out that way, but most other suggestions I can't do. There isn't enough room for me to get some vice grips on their, nor is there room for me to hammer a Torx 27 on, if a Torx 26 existed I'm sure I would have this done but it doesn't, I've tried putting tape over the T25 bit to fill in that gap but that doesn't work. If I can't get this bit off I either need to put it back together and deal with a lopey idle (which is annoying) or I can pull the CP3 pump out altogether which is a LOT of work.

Any ideas or help with this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Joe, I'd go ahead and grab yourself a tap n die set. It shouldn't set you back too much. They really come in handy for stripped bolt heads / snapped off bolt heads. It looks like you should be able to get your cordless drill in there no problem. Just take your time and you should be able to get that bolt out this way.... Good luck

#3 ·
So your saying that the Torx insert on the top of the screw ( bolt ) is rounded out a bit . Are you absolute sure that the torx bit is NOT rounded at all , cause I have seen the bit get rounded and not bite into the screw . Try to get a top brand name torx screw driver or bit insert and tap in and apply good down ward pressure while unscrewing

#4 ·
I don't know if it works on Torx, but I picked on those $9.95 screw removal kits, similar to the ones on TV infomercials. It's worked for on Phillips and Star head screws very easily. Just line it up, a little tap and then slowly crank it out.

But tap and die set as Matt says might be your best bet...

#6 ·
You could try to find a left handed drill bit and see if it will back it out when drilling it out in reverse. If not then get a regular drill bit and a small easyout . Once you get a easyout started you can pull up on it as you turn if the threads are stripped? Good luck .

#7 ·
These are some great ideas fellas! I cannot get a drill down there as I have about 6 inches of workable space and a fuel line in the way. I'll take a pic when I get back to this project and show you guys exactly where the bolt is. I would have done it last night but I worked until 9:30 and it was too dark for me to snap a pic. The dremel flathead idea might be what I have to do. not sure if I can fit an extractor kind of tool down there.

#10 ·
Hope you get it out with whatever you're planning, cause stripped bolts/screws always suck when space is limited. I've had limited success with the extractors. I usually just grind the head off the screw or bolt with a die grinder, remove the part, and then work the rest out with some vice grips. Seems to be the best method I've found if you have enough meat on the remaining threads after the part is removed and it's not rusted solid.

#11 ·
File down a screwdriver and twist it out.

#12 ·
I'm not sure what the suggestions for a tap and die kit are about. Those are not for extracting screws or bolts...they are for cutting new threads or cleaning damaged threads on bolts and nuts or threaded holes. You have to get the screw out before tapping the hole. Grinding off the head is a possible solution if extractors do not work...after which the threads should not be under any tensile load and more able to be backed out with pliers or vice grips as noted by another member.

#13 ·
Unfortunately none of this worked last night and I had to hang my head in shame as I reassembled the entire truck. The bolt was too far stripped for me to grab it with a brand new T25, I couldn't get a T27 in there. I tried a bolt extractor but unfortunately I wasn't able to give it enough pressure to get the bit to grip to the screw. JB weld just came out even after letting it harden real good for 3 hours. Because of that pesky fuel line in the way a cutting tool such as a dremel was not able to get down in there, Thanks for all the help guys! I really do appreciate it.

#15 ·
I have used hex / Allen keys to fit into a stripped torx head. Find one that is close to the size of the torx and tap on it to force it in the head of the bolt. At this point I think trying to preserve the torx head is useless.

#16 ·
^^^ That might work Joe...or maybe a combo of the hex key and some more JB, let it sit overnight to fully cure and become one piece, than try to back it out.. I know not having the truck may not work for you, but if it gets the Torx out, you do what you have to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.