jQuery not supported.

'07 Silverado Stabilitrack/Traction Control Issue Resolved

'07 Silverado Stabilitrack/Traction Control Issue Resolved

Postby PH03N1XF1R3 [OP] » Jan 18 2013, 12:30am

Not sure if this is the best place to put this but I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot.

So about a month ago I had a problem with my truck not wanting to start when it was cold. Then all of a sudden the battery went to crap. Luckily it was still under warranty and thus I got a free new replacement. I thought all my problems were fixed. However it still didn't like to start when it had been sitting long enough for the engine to cool off completely. ( 1 hour or so)

I started doing som research and found possibilities of the mass airflow sensor could be bad, etc etc.... Then one day when I was driving to class my check engine light came on and i got a message on the DIC that said "Traction Control Off', "Stabilitrack Off", Service Stabilitrack" and "Service Traction Control".

After driving it like this for about a week I finally took it in to the shop. They called me about 3 hours later and said they found the problem. The fuel trim codes were wrong. Basically the computer thought that the gas in my tank had 55% alcohol in it, when in fact it was 0%. (unleaded) They reset the codes and reprogrammed the computer and so far it seems to have fixed everything surprisingly enough.

I just thought I would post this here in case anyone else had a similar problem and were stuck on what to do.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.
K&N CAI
RC 2" Level Kit
GM Borla Sport Muffler
JL 500/1 Amp
Kenwood 12" Shallow Subwoofer
Original Poster
PH03N1XF1R3
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: White 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: '07 Silverado Stabilitrack/Traction Control Issue Resolv

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jan 18 2013, 5:52am

Although your post is much appreciated, there are so many different reasons why "Traction Control Off', "Stabilitrack Off", Service Stabilitrack" and "Service Traction Control" can illuminate in your DIC. It seems to me that GM just used this as their default warning as to confuse the owners into not having any clue as to the problem with their trucks hence leaving them powerless and in dire of a GM shop to get a definite answer with an overrated and expensive diagnostic test that will be absorbed into the price of the repair in the event that you let them do the work.

When all those warnings came up with my truck, it was the Throttle Body Postioning sensor which they seemed to blame on my K&N air filter. Really? I have too many friends that have put an aftermarket air filter and/or total CAI on their trucks and they never had that problem. Maybe it's just their way of saying, "hey, when we put all this shit together we allowed for a +/- 10% chance that something was going to get severely screwed up". Then they sent out a flyer to all service advisors with a list of shitty excuses to give the customer in order to take the blame off themselves.

I'm not hating on GM; there will always be a BOWTIE in my garage. There is just a +/- 10% chance that I will buy a new one this year in order for some big wig to pad his wallet a little bit more! :mrgreen:
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator (borderline Redneck variety)

Onlyina_Chevy: you've joined back into the Android ranks?
starspangled6.0: can't wait to dump the iphone
starspangled6.0: i was wrong
starspangled6.0: you were right
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 140
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby PH03N1XF1R3 [OP] » Jan 18 2013, 7:01am

Yeah that is true, there are many reasons of why I could get that message. It just so happened that this time it was the trim codes. This was caused by the previous owner, not necessarily a faulty truck. I don't know what shop you take yours too, but I take mine to a GM dealer in my smaller town. They are very accommodating and actually treat me like I know what I'm doing. Unfortunately you're not the first person that I have read about who has had the same kind of responses from other GM shops. It basically comes down to luck of the draw. I know of other people who own other brand names of trucks and it's the same thing. There will never be a perfect truck or vehicle.
K&N CAI
RC 2" Level Kit
GM Borla Sport Muffler
JL 500/1 Amp
Kenwood 12" Shallow Subwoofer
Original Poster
PH03N1XF1R3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: White 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jan 18 2013, 7:19am

On that particular instance, I was caught in SLC, UT and had to limp into town. Luckily it was happening between 12 am and 4 am in the morning so I didn't have to worry too much about a lot of traffic to content with since the truck was doing the 'reduced engine power' bullshit. I had to continuously pull the truck onto the shoulder, turn it off, open the door, close the door, restart the truck and hope that it would reset itself each time. The dealership was very nice and fixed the problem ASAP as they knew that I was just passing through on my way to Oklahoma City.

I have had issues with my GM dealer quite a few times over the past couple years. Their sales people are very nice, but their service department has been hot & cold for 20+ years. I wish sometimes that they wouldn't have closed down the better dealership in town, but I wasn't on the Board of Directors for GM when they decided who should stay and who should go. In a perfect world, they would have kept the Sales department at one and the Sevice Department of the other...couldn't get the best of both worlds!
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator (borderline Redneck variety)

Onlyina_Chevy: you've joined back into the Android ranks?
starspangled6.0: can't wait to dump the iphone
starspangled6.0: i was wrong
starspangled6.0: you were right
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 140
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby GM Customer Service » Jan 18 2013, 3:31pm

PH03N1XF1R3 wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to put this but I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot.

So about a month ago I had a problem with my truck not wanting to start when it was cold. Then all of a sudden the battery went to crap. Luckily it was still under warranty and thus I got a free new replacement. I thought all my problems were fixed. However it still didn't like to start when it had been sitting long enough for the engine to cool off completely. ( 1 hour or so)

I started doing som research and found possibilities of the mass airflow sensor could be bad, etc etc.... Then one day when I was driving to class my check engine light came on and i got a message on the DIC that said "Traction Control Off', "Stabilitrack Off", Service Stabilitrack" and "Service Traction Control".

After driving it like this for about a week I finally took it in to the shop. They called me about 3 hours later and said they found the problem. The fuel trim codes were wrong. Basically the computer thought that the gas in my tank had 55% alcohol in it, when in fact it was 0%. (unleaded) They reset the codes and reprogrammed the computer and so far it seems to have fixed everything surprisingly enough.

I just thought I would post this here in case anyone else had a similar problem and were stuck on what to do.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Hello,

It's good to hear your truck is working properly. Please let us know such an incident reoccurs. I hope all is well and that you have a great weekend! Thank you for posting.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical