jQuery not supported.

105 145 amp alternator swap

alternator swap

105 145 amp alternator swap

Postby stemwall [OP] » Jun 26 2013, 1:55am

I have a 99 Silverado 5.3 I just installed a 300 watt amp stereo and upgraded the stock 28" radiator to a 34" with duel flex-a-lite fans. Everything works perfect but I noticed I had a voltage drop at idle, so I changed out the 105 to a 145 amp alt, works great but should I have any concerns about the size of the fusible link from the alt to the red box. There is a lot of chatter about the big three upgrade don’t really think I need all that. But again I am concerned about the size of the wire and wonder if the full size gm SUVs are using a larger size fusible link with all of the extra power they need for all their bells and whistles. Any thoughts…….
Original Poster
stemwall
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: z71 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 105 145 amp alternator swap

Postby Welcher774 » Jun 26 2013, 2:10am

You should be fine no need to worry. When I had my Tahoe with 2800 watts I added a stinger battery as main and a secondary battery with the stinger alternator. 300 watts is not a huge draw on the system.
Welcher774
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 39
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 105 145 amp alternator swap

Postby stemwall [OP] » Jun 26 2013, 12:31pm

Thanks for the info; it’s not really the amp that is the concern but the amp with the fans. The voltage drop didn’t happen until I added the e-fans anyway after I swapped the alt my voltage is perfect but will that stock fusible link handle the load of head lights ,ac , fans ,amp the main reason for the concern is I noticed that the fusible link gets pretty worm. is that normal ?
Original Poster
stemwall
Topics: 8
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: z71 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical