jQuery not supported.

2003 Silverado won't crank

2003 Silverado won't crank

Postby DanR7985 [OP] » Oct 10 2012, 7:36pm

I am in dire need of help. I have a 2003 Silverado extended cab work truck with a 4.8 V8. Sometimes it will start fine. I barely need to crank the engine at all and it fires right up. Sometimes It won't even try to turn over. I have taken it to the local dealership to have them diagnose it. Of course with my terrible luck it will start when it gets there so they can't very well diagnose it when it won't act up for them. On top of it all it won't throw any codes for them to check either. They fixed what they think is wrong with it, but it still does it. As I said it won't even attempt to turn over. The gauges come on fine, the radio works, bright lights, a/c works, heat works, and power locks work so I don't think it is the battery. At the same time since the battery is working fine I think the alternator is fine too. When it does turn over it fires right up so I don't think it's the starter.

The first time I took it in this is what was on the sheet from the dealership:

Cust states truck will not start or turn over. Loss of voltage. Ignition does seem to operate odd. Suspect faulty ignition switch. Not sending voltage to BCM. Removed and replaced ignition switch. Rechecked operation and ok at this time.

The second time this is what was on the sheet:

Cust states veh will not start. No crank. Everything lights up but will not try to crank over and fire. Tested system unable to duplicate cust concern. Scanned codes and no codes found. Informed cust most likely cause the pass lock sensor which is part of the ignition cylinder. Informed cust no guantee of repair but most likely cause. Cust ok repair. Coded new ignition cylinder. Replaced cylinder with new housing and cut new key. Veh still starting properly at this time.

If anyone could help me out that would be great. I can't afford to keep taking it and getting it fixed especially since I need to take it to get to work.

I was going to take a video and post it so everyone could see what goes on in the inside, but now it decided to start.
Original Poster
DanR7985
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8 WT 4x4 ECSB
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  03 silverado won't crank   Stumped, won't crank   2005 sierra won't crank   2003 4.8 crank no start   2003 5.3 Won't turn over   04 Silverado No Crank   Silverado No crank, no start   03 silverado wont crank or start   2004 Silverado - No crank. Will BCM prevent cranking?   Help! My Silverado 1500 WT won't start.   2003 Silverado 5.3 with P0446   TRITON2286's 2003 HD Silverado   2003 silverado v6 shuddering   Jhamilton's 2003 Silverado 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 2003 Silverado won't crank

Postby DanR7985 [OP] » Oct 10 2012, 7:52pm

A couple things that I noticed different from when it starts. The first time it started for me after not starting there was a very slight pause before it would try to crank. It is not noticeable unless you are familiar with how it acts when it starts normally.

Also when it wouldn't crank the battery light and the check engine light would stay on. When it would crank and start the battery light would come on just like the other lights such as seat belt or ABS then go off like normal. The check engine light would never come on.

2003 Silverado, W/T, 4.8 Vortec, ECSB, Arrival Blue, 3.73, Overhead console, NNBS 3 cup jump seat, remote start, OEM style fender flares
Original Poster
DanR7985
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Zxceelxuz » Oct 11 2012, 2:38am

It's normal for the CEL to stay on while the key is on. You say you have absolutely no crank sometimes, nothing at all. My first guess would've been ignition switch, but it appears they've already eliminated that.

You should check the connections on any fuses and relays related to the starter on your truck. Also check connections at the starter and battery.
Zxceelxuz
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby midnightrun7 » Oct 27 2012, 7:25am

I'm surprised the dealer didn't check the starter, this would be one of the first things I would check and the second would be the ground straps ... starter could have ground intermittently. Ground straps could cause weird problems. Good Luck

My 2 cents.
midnightrun7
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Year: 2005
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rockinagain » Oct 27 2012, 3:13pm

Question, when it doesn't crank....how do you get it to crank? Turn the key off,back on? If you keep hitting it eventually it will crank?

First thing that comes to mind is the starter relay (or ignition relay , another common term for it) in the fuse box under the hood, second thing that comes to mind is the solenoid. Third thing that comes to mind is the neutral safety switch on the transmission...and in fact this is probably the part I would bet my money on being your problem.... BUT...since the starter relay is easy to trouble shoot without buying anything, lets start there.

On the driver's side of the truck over the wheel well inside the hood behind the battery there should be a fuse box, pull the top off of it , before you go out and spend 13 to 15 bucks on a relay that may or may not be the problem, try this....

Swap the two relays as marked in the picture....

See if that fixes your problem, NOTE: this is from my 2003 5.3 silverado, I am making an assumption that the 4.8 will be the same..... if its not the same, locate your fuse box,pop the lid and turn it over and find the relay marked "starter", and swap it out with a relay with the same numbers on it.

Also note, if this fixes your problem, go out and buy a new relay and replace the starter relay(Center relay in above picture is starter relay), put the other back from where you got it, and discard the one you originally pulled from the starter.

If it doesn't fix your problem, then maybe try replacing the solenoid...

Wish I knew how you get it to crank when it doesn't... next time it doesn't crank, pull it from park to neutral and try it again... if you see a pattern of this working to get it to crank, then a faulty neutral safety switch is likely to blame, and I am actually betting on this over the solenoid. But since this is a 50 dollar part, and a solenoid you can get for 18.... you might try the solenoid first.
Rockinagain
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 20
Extra Info: 5.3 extended cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DanR7985 [OP] » Oct 28 2012, 6:47pm

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post. I got married, then the honeymoon, then getting back in the swing of things. While I was on the honeymoon I took it to another mechanic and he located the problem. The starter was bad and the wire between the starter and the solenoid was corroded so bad that when it was on the lift he could see the wire arc when he would try to start it. He replaced both of those and it has worked fine since. He said he started it 100 time and it has worked fine for him. I have also been driving it like normal and it has started fine every time. I appreciate all the help from everyone though.

2003 Silverado, W/T, 4.8 Vortec, ECSB, Arrival Blue, 3.73, Overhead console, NNBS 3 cup jump seat, remote start, OEM style fender flares
Original Poster
DanR7985
Group Membership:
Registered users