jQuery not supported.

99 silverado can't turn headlights off at night.

99 silverado can't turn headlights off at night.

Postby adams99z71 [OP] » Nov 28 2010, 7:07am

so has anyone figured out a way to turn your headlights off. i feel bad every time i go onto the navy base cause i cant turn my headlights off. i heard i can swapout the switch with a newer version... has anyone tried this??
nbs99 z71 325ci v8, stock 4wheel disc brakes, no cats, flow master classic 40 series, rhino line, custom fog lights, cb, bully dog tunner, 4:10 locker, airbag load leveling, 205,000miles.
Original Poster
adams99z71
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 325ci Z71 ext cab LS
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: 99 silverado can't turn headlights off at night.

Postby 99chevyz71 » Nov 28 2010, 7:36am

i have a '00 bcm press override 4 times no lights lol
2008 Silverado Ext. Cab
99chevyz71
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby aksierra11 » Nov 28 2010, 7:48am

^^ Did this all the time on my 02, should work for ya
aksierra11
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.2L SLT
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Nov 28 2010, 2:15pm

as everyone has said pressing the dome over-ride switch should do the trick, worked on my s10 as well.
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adams99z71 [OP] » Dec 12 2010, 7:04pm

so i put in a 1.5k resister to the light sensor wiring to the BCM. worked like a charm. fyi the 99silverado was a half year and their is no way to turn the headlights off at night. from 2000 on they use the dome over-ride switch to shut them off. it also says this in the chiltons repair manual.
nbs99 z71 325ci v8, stock 4wheel disc brakes, no cats, flow master classic 40 series, rhino line, custom fog lights, cb, bully dog tunner, 4:10 locker, airbag load leveling, 205,000miles.
Original Poster
adams99z71
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 99chevyz71 » Dec 13 2010, 3:55am

this was stupid of chevy imo
2008 Silverado Ext. Cab
99chevyz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Freenaz » Dec 15 2010, 10:23pm

adams99z71 wrote:so i put in a 1.5k resister to the light sensor wiring to the BCM. worked like a charm. fyi the 99silverado was a half year and their is no way to turn the headlights off at night. from 2000 on they use the dome over-ride switch to shut them off. it also says this in the chiltons repair manual.

I would like to do this mod as well would you please clarify what "worked like a charm" means? How does it work now? Which wire did you put the resistor in or does it really matter? THX
'07 Black/Titanium leather Yukon SLT2 4x4, Debadged, Magna flow exhaust, Billit grill.
'99 Silverado 1500 4x4
'95 Honda Accord
'94 Geo Prism
Freenaz
Extra Info: 1500 4.3L 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 99chevyz71 » Dec 16 2010, 5:20am

i think i have this in another topic but ill put it up again

You can do the all 4 headlight mod real easy to on that 1999 truck also by grounding the low beams negative wire on both low beam lights to the body with an extra wire cutting the original wire completely. When the high beams are on the truck cancels the ground to the low beams and they go out, and with this mod they have a ground and will stay on instead of going out.

I have read several posts asking for information on how to disable the twilight (auto on) feature on the headlights of 99 FSCs.
I wanted to do this myself so I searched and found several methods of doing it.
This is the easiest. You don't have to take the dash apart or cut any wires. Just a simple in line resistor.
Here it goes:

To disable the auto headlights you need a 1.5K ohm resistor (Radio Shack) and 2 Scotchlok Tap Connectors (Walmart).

First locate the Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash, below the steering column. Laying on the floor, this should be visible without removing any dash panels. You should find a purple connector (C3). Unplug it.

Locate the white and gray wires (A4 and A6). I don't remember if white is A4 and gray is A6 or vice versa. It doesn't matter anyway. BTW - there are two gray wires in the connector. The one you want is the one farthest away from the white wire.

Tap the gray wire from the plug (C3) to one end of the resistor and the white wire to the other end. You don't need to cut the wires. Make sure you tape up all wires to prevent a short. You should now have a gray wire coming from C3 tapped to one lead of the resistor and the white wire from C3 tapped to the other resistor lead *. Plug C3 back into the BCM. Start the truck and make sure the lights are off. Throw a dark towel or something over the light sensor on the dash and verify the lights stay off. Try your light switch that has probably never been used and that's it! Takes about 5 minutes.

*You can add a switch here if you want. Just connect one end of the resistor to one of the wires in the connector (doesn't matter which one) and the other end of the resistor to one side of the switch. Then connect a wire from the other side of the switch to the other wire in the connector. This will allow you to turn Twilight Mode on and off, however there will be some delay because the bcm only checks the sensor every 30 seconds
2008 Silverado Ext. Cab
99chevyz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mjacoby321 » Dec 16 2010, 8:20am

adams99z71 wrote:so has anyone figured out a way to turn your headlights off. i feel bad every time i go onto the navy base cause i cant turn my headlights off. i heard i can swapout the switch with a newer version... has anyone tried this??

ive tried that before and it didnt work for me. maybe i dont have the right Auto Repair Manual for that. try to find it.
mjacoby321
Year: 1991
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adams99z71 [OP] » Dec 16 2010, 4:11pm

thanks will. and in case anyones wondering is the light grey colored wire and the resisters are about 3bucks for a five pack at radio shack.
Original Poster
adams99z71
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Electrical