Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Alternator problem

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rmanny91 
#1 ·
Today I replaced my alternator because my old one was going out. I installed a remanufactured alternator and it charges like its suppost to but now I have a different problem, I get no temperature reading on my temp gauge while the engine is running. If the key is on the ON position then it reads the temperature normal but as soon as I start the engine temp gauge goes down and wont move up. Have any of you guys come across this problem? Thanks for reading.

#2 ·
The coolant sensor is right there by the alternatorin the front. It runs off resistance so if you have a voltmeter measure the voltage across the pins, turn the truck on and measure it again. If the numbers are significantly different with the same temperature then either your sensor is defective of the alternator is causing interference. Interference could be wireless if the wires were shifted or are picking up something that it didnt before or it could be that the alternator is defective and electricity is bleeding off the body of the alternator and messing up your reading.

#3 ·
@djlove Thanks for the help much appreciated, i actually exchanged the alternator and it did the same I even installed my old alternator and it did the same thing, so I installed the new one again and hooked up the battery and went for a drive and BAM problem fixed lol Im still trying to think what may have caused this.

#5 ·
Well i've had the truck for more than 2 years and never had a problem with the guages or anything really until this happened, now the temp guage reads as normal and the alternator is doing what its suppost to Do... But if the stepper motor goes out im getting all of them replaced while im there, thanks for the help much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.