Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Alternator

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  2004HDchevy 
#1 ·
I have a 120 amp alternator in my 2007 chevy 2500hd ltz, I have an 8' fisher and the plow drains the battery by just movin it, will the factory option bigger alternator fit right in? And is the plug on the back the same?

#6 ·
Might want to get the electrical system tested before you start throwing parts at it. Both my plow trucks run stock systems, and we don't have any power problems, even in the cold. The voltage drops when we use the plows, but it pops right back up again.

#9 ·
I would second the checking all connections. If you have a service center near you that can actually test your alt out put while still in the truck, try them first. You could have a weak battery and the alt is trying to charge the battery while running the truck. The other option is the alt has lost half the rectifier so the alt is only charging at half power. I would also recomend getting a second battery under the hood. Wire them up parallel with fuses next to each battery. Also doing the big 3 would help the alt charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.