Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Battery Drain, Speedo Reading 30KMH With Key Off and so on!

655 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  djlove 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 1500 Sierra 4x4 with a few issues. First, the problems started when the truck sat for a couple months and the battery drained. When I noticed this, I charged the battery but the airbag light would not go out. Small issue but then I developed a more aggressive current draw which zapped the battery overnight. Then from no where the battery light started staying on along with the radio and dash lights after the key was turned off and removed. Then today my speedo decided to join the chaos by reading 30 KMH with key removed and when driving it reads 30 KMH faster than actual and won't return to zero. I haven't been able to troubleshoot too much because it has been so stinking cold here in my part of North America! Has anyone experienced any issues like this? I will be checking the fuses due to some of the things I have read here but the more you read the more chance of going way to deep and spending way too much.
Would a trip to the Dealership be a smart choice or would it be a money drain instead of the battery? At this point in time I am disconnecting the negative wire so battery won't go dead. I am an Industrial Mechanic so I'm open to ideas and able to try them before I seek the costly professional diagnostic level.

#2 ·
That body style is known for stepper motor problems in the dials. They are pretty inexpensive and cheap. The other common issue is the lock cylinder which is also pretty inexpensive. That could be causing the drain. There was a post yesterday that I suspect the lock cylinder caused a premature failure of the fuel pump since it was always primed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.