Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Brake Lights will not work

33K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SilverSurfer 
#1 ·
My 2000 chevy Silverado's brake lights will not work. all other lights and turn signals work. I replaced the brake switch, Junction box, bulbs and all fuses are good. What can I do now to try and fix this. The wires are hot from fuses under hood but are not hot on the other side of the firewall is what a mechanic says? Please give me some info on what to trouble shoot next?

#2 ·
There is an orange wire that goes from the engine fuse box to the brake pedal switch. That wire is Always Hot thru the STOP LPS fuse (20A). If that fuse is good look for power (B+) to ground on the orange side of the brake pedal switch connector. If you have power put a jumper across the connector, if the brake lights come on you have (another) bad switch.

If you have power and the brake lights don't come on, the problem is after the switch.

If no power there pick up one of these at NAPA or the like, if you don't have power on the orange wire, it's for mini-fuses: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0282529025. Fairly cheap.

Find an Always Hot fuse and use the fuse tap there, the wire goes on the opposite side of the hot side of the fuse. Run the wire to the white side of the brake pedal connector and see if you have brakes. If so, splice the new wire to the orange side of the connector, plug it in and see if the brake lights work.

This is easier than trying to fix a harness that goes thru the firewall. If you need more info, let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.