jQuery not supported.

Can't Find Headlight Fuse

93 GMC K3500 6.5 Diesel

Can't Find Headlight Fuse

Postby steverino78 [OP] » Dec 16 2010, 4:12pm

Put a used snow plow on the truck. Initial trial showed both truck and plow lights all worked, hi and low, but unfortunatly, the truck lights didn't go off when the plow lights were plugged in. After 5 minutes, I lost the hi beams only on both the plow and the truck. Low beams work on both. I disconnected the plow lights to isolate that aspect with no change, (no high beams on truck, but low beams ok). There is no headlight fuse on the main fuse board by my left knee. Can't find one anywhere. Anyone know where it might be hiding? Maybe this circuit is on a fusible link, but this seems odd for something like the headlights?

93 GMC Sierra K3500 6.5 Diesel
Original Poster
steverino78
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1993
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 6.5 diesel
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Can't Find Headlight Fuse

Postby koolz71 » Dec 16 2010, 4:33pm

I think i can help..just had this issue on my buddies 95 k3500 when we hooked the plow up this year...check the relays for the headlights..They are located right above the wheelwell on the drivers side..lil black cubes withwires going to them..u can switch them out to see if it makes ur dim ligths work or visa-versa..there pretty cheap if u have to replace them
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Dec 16 2010, 4:36pm

I am guessing you overloaded the headlight relay with the additional load. I believe there is an upgrade relay (40amps) that should help. Not sure what load the standard relay will handle.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby steverino78 [OP] » Dec 16 2010, 5:20pm

This is the odd thing about it... neither the local Napa or BTB know of a headlight relay. I double checked the drivers side above the wheelwell and found nothing other than a harness which runs under my wiper fluid bottle. Maybe the next thing to do is check with the local dealer and look it up specific to the VIN. I might have an oddball or maybe they wired the 6.5 diesels differently. Even my Chilton schematic is not helping me find this fuse, (and/or relay). I'm starting to wonder if the heavy current draw (because both the truck and plow high beams where on all at once) might have smoked the high beam switch? Yuk...working within the steering column is never a picnic!
Original Poster
steverino78
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Dec 16 2010, 5:28pm

Call your local autozone..ask them were its located..they will find it for u lol

Check out my blog

koolz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Dec 16 2010, 6:33pm

steverino78 wrote:This is the odd thing about it... neither the local Napa or BTB know of a headlight relay. I double checked the drivers side above the wheelwell and found nothing other than a harness which runs under my wiper fluid bottle. Maybe the next thing to do is check with the local dealer and look it up specific to the VIN. I might have an oddball or maybe they wired the 6.5 diesels differently. Even my Chilton schematic is not helping me find this fuse, (and/or relay). I'm starting to wonder if the heavy current draw (because both the truck and plow high beams where on all at once) might have smoked the high beam switch? Yuk...working within the steering column is never a picnic!

I thought it was odd that the high beams are the only ones not working - usually there is a fuse for headlights - not separate for high/low beams. Is there a box under the hood with fuses/electrical?

And pardon this - anything in the owner's manual??

Good luck - hope you don't have to tear into the steering column.
--John
jepics
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Dec 16 2010, 6:47pm

there are 2 seperate relays for the headlights..there is a relay for low beams and high beams..the sit right next to each other....at least on the 95

Check out my blog

koolz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby steverino78 [OP] » Dec 16 2010, 7:22pm

Figured I'd share what I'm learning as this evolves. They must have added the relays sometime after 93. I've since learned from a veteran parts guy in our area that some headlight circuits are unprotected. So it appears that I'm looking for something that doesn't exist! The GM dealer showed no relays for my VIN either nor a secondary fuse block under the hood. So...this means I must have taken out the weakest link in the circuit. Considering the low beams work, I'm going to replace the dimmer switch first. In taking a closer look, the good news is that even though the switch handle is on the column, the switch itself is under the dash, bolted to the column and activated via a long linkage rod. For under 15 bucks and maybe 15 minutes bent in a contorted state under the dash, I might get the lights back on. (But I still will have to figure out how to prevent it from reoccurring!) Thanks for the help so far.
Original Poster
steverino78
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Dec 16 2010, 7:24pm

It sounds like GM knew they had a engineering flaw and fixed it a lil too late..let us know if we can help you out any more

Check out my blog

koolz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Dec 16 2010, 7:30pm

Glad to hear what you found out so far. I hope it's as easy a fix as it appears now.

Is there a heavier duty dimmer switch?

If not, you probably are going to want to put in a separate switch/fuse/circuit for the plow lights.
--John
jepics
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Return to Electrical