jQuery not supported.

Chevy 1500 Electrical issue.. Battery Drains

Chevy 1500 Electrical issue.. Battery Drains

Postby sdfishman [OP] » Jan 02 2012, 3:28am

Having some issues with my 2007 silverado 1500. Its a 6.0 4x4. Recently the passanger doors wont unlock. Last week the alarm was making noice. Now the battery is dead. It is the second time the battery has drained in 1 week. I jumped it and checked it with a volt meter. Running it was 14.12. Alt is working but I have no idea what is draining it. No check battery/engine or codes showing..
Original Poster
sdfishman
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Chevy 1500 Electrical issue.. Battery Drains

Postby EKinMN » Jan 02 2012, 3:42am

It's fairly common to have a corroded or rusted ground wire or wires. Check through your grounds, especially the main battery cable.

Have you changed or added any other electrical items to the truck?
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby sdfishman [OP] » Jan 02 2012, 4:52pm

Recently the right side of my truck was involved in a accident. The back right door was replaced due to unrepairable parts.. Also there is a snaptop bed cover (electric) that had to be removed for the bodywork to be completed. A month later this is all happening. The 2 right windows won't roll down and if you don't start the truck within 12 hours it will drain the battery.. I was thinking maybe a ground issue with the snaptop or ?? Possible 12v bulb in shell isn't turning off. Need some help..
Original Poster
sdfishman
Topics: 2
Year: 2007
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jan 02 2012, 5:18pm

I would go back to whomever did the repairs and explain your problems since they did the work. It sure appears there is something with the repair that is causing the problems. They may have repaired something electrical or left something disconnected and they might know right where to look. If they won't help, I would contact your insurance agent and complain about the repair work causing you problems. The agent might be able to apply pressure to get them to correct the problems. I had this kind of issue (with A/C) once and when the adjuster got involved, the shop fixed it ASAP.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 126
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby evensteven3 » Jan 02 2012, 10:05pm

Also after your battery draining many times I recommend having your battery tested just in case it got ruined also in the process especially if these repairs are being taken care of by insurance no need for you to have to spend the money out of pocket
evensteven3
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Z71 5.3 ls1 extended
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby ooohhdave » Jan 04 2012, 1:02am

If you have or know someone that have AAA roadside assistant call them up. They will thoroughly test your electrical system to the point where what part of your car is drawing all the power. It's included for free with your subscription to their roadside program.
ooohhdave
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 35
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Jan 04 2012, 6:29am

How old is the battery and have you had it tested? A month is a long time for this to be a related problem. Testing for a parasitic drain will rule out this being related to the accident/repair. It can be time consuming, you need the right equipment and you need to be comfortable with electrical. But I would check the battery first. Most auto parts stores will check it free.
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 04 2012, 7:39am

I would disconnect the negative battery terminal and put a test light between the cable and the post. Make sure all your accessories are off (like the inside light and the underhood light). if the test light is on, even a little, you have a parasetic drain. Start pulling fuses untill the test light no longer is on. When you find what circuit the drain is on, take a wiring diagram and start disconnecting whatever is on that circuit until the light goes back off (after you put the fuse back in, of course). If when you disconnect all the accessories on that circuit the light does not go off, start tracing that harness untill you find the bad section and make the repair.
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Electrical