Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Daytime Running Lights on low beams, how to turn off

41K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  biggles182 
#1 ·
Hello,

I saw a post on a 00-01 and older models, but does anyone know how to keep the daytime running lights from turning on? I know how to turn them off every time I start the truck, but what a pain. I am installing HID lights and aftermarket head lamps with projector low beams. I don't want my HID's burning out so fast because they are on all day long! On the 2010, the "low beam" lights are the daytime running lights, so I can't just kill them all together.

Any help, thanks!!!

Jonathan

#4 ·
Hmm. I took 48 seconds and found this answer using the owners manual that is available on this site.

To turn off the DRL lamps, turn the exterior lamps
control to the OFF position and then release.
For vehicles first sold in Canada, the transmission
must be in the P (Park) position, before the DRL lamps
can be turned off.
I hope this helps. ;)

#14 ·
I won't ask why you want the DRL's off permanently, but you do realize that you get an insurance reduction for having them, don't you? It's been proven that a higher percentage of accidents happen to vehicles without them as opposed to with them. I, for one, recognize an oncoming vehicle a lot easier and sooner, if it has DRL's. I even bought a kit from NAPA to put them in my daughter's 93 Sierra. Stick with them. It may keep you from one less accident!

#18 ·
Without going into a long discussion on how ALL manufacturers design DRL circuits; some DRL systems actually use the high beam filaments of the main headlights, operated as a series circuit. Sorry I wasn't clear on that fact with my answer earlier today. :)

#21 ·
has anyone ever looked into reprogramming the bcm module to use the marker lights instead of the low beam headlights ?
i believe the drl control is through the bcm module.at least that is what the electrical schematic looks like. j.m.o.
i am using hid's as well and live in canada. drl 's is a must up here.there is enough vehicles that use the parking lights // signal lights as drl's. they are certainly bright enough.
any help would be greatly apprechiated.
cheers

#22 ·
pinballdoctor said:
has anyone ever looked into reprogramming the bcm module to use the marker lights instead of the low beam headlights ?
i believe the drl control is through the bcm module.at least that is what the electrical schematic looks like. j.m.o.
i am using hid's as well and live in canada. drl 's is a must up here.there is enough vehicles that use the parking lights // signal lights as drl's. they are certainly bright enough.
any help would be greatly apprechiated.
cheers
If you're looking at the diagram for the 2011, the BCM just activates the DRL relay, which supplies power through the DRL fuse to the low beams. You could remove the DRL2 fuse, plug a wire into the side from the relay and tie that into the parking light circuit at one of the park light fuses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.