jQuery not supported.

Dead Battery

Dead Battery

Postby johndeere9203 [OP] » Oct 24 2011, 10:45pm

I have a 2008 silverado 5.3. truck has always started good for me until last week its been in the 50s here and in the morning it would start fine i would drive to work every day, well towards end of last week i noticed it was cranking really slow but it did start. well today i went to work and when i went to leave the truck was dead. and no i did not leave any lights or anything on in the truck...... should a battery last longer than this? would the dealer still cover this? and of course the first person to ask if i need a jump was a ford guy....... grrrrrr
2014 Camaro SS 6.2L, 6 spd, npp dual mode exhaust, short throw shifter. (426hp stock)
Original Poster
johndeere9203
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 61
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Re: Dead Battery

Postby ASTE25 » Oct 24 2011, 10:48pm

Sounds like a bad battery. If your truck is still under warranty, the dealer should cover it, however I think they are pro-rated. Don't worry, Ford's get bad battery's too. You can return the favor when his goes out next year.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby rdss » Oct 24 2011, 10:51pm

Mine went flat after 3 months of sitting in the garage and I hadn't even had the truck for 5 months before I deployed. I charged it and never had a problem, this time before I deployed in August I put it on a Battery Tender Junior. Try putting a solid charge on it over night and see if it holds or just replace it so you don't get stranded again (who wants to be jumped by a Ford?!lol). In the end, batteries are an expendable part of a vehicle and they do fail.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby SierraVT08 » Oct 24 2011, 10:53pm

I have the 4.8L and had the same problem recently, I jump the battery with my old ladies cobalt and it ran fine for a week or so and did the same damn thing. So I ended up buying a new battery from mallwart (only thing open on a sunday around here) and it hasnt acted up since. I love my Sierra but the stock Batteries are plain garbage.
I like my trucks like I like my women... Clean, Can take a beating, and Wont ever give up.
SierraVT08
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2008
Extra Info: WT 1500 4.8L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby johndeere9203 [OP] » Oct 24 2011, 11:19pm

i was thinking about a battery tender. i do not drive my truck in the winter it sits in the garage. would it be safe to leave a battery tender on it just to keep the battery warm? it will not over charge and fry wires in the truck will it? and as soon as i got home i put it on a slow charge so ill see if it works for me tomorrow.
2014 Camaro SS 6.2L, 6 spd, npp dual mode exhaust, short throw shifter. (426hp stock)
Original Poster
johndeere9203
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 61
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby rdss » Oct 25 2011, 12:06am

Nope, mine has been sitting on one since August 30th and will do so until sometime in December when I return from deployment. It actually goes into a maintenance cycle and trickle charge, your battery actually will charge, float, deplete to a certain point and start over. If you have anything that sits over the winter it is a good idea to use one. I actually have one on my Harley as well, they are notorious for going dead while sitting. Some people will start their vehicle and let it sit running for a while, this isn't recomended due to condensation build up in the crank case and other parts of the drive train that heat up.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby lzn197 » Oct 25 2011, 12:17am

SierraVT08 wrote:I have the 4.8L and had the same problem recently, I jump the battery with my old ladies cobalt and it ran fine for a week or so and did the same damn thing. So I ended up buying a new battery from mallwart (only thing open on a sunday around here) and it hasnt acted up since. I love my Sierra but the stock Batteries are plain garbage.

Walmart batteries are garbage.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby SierraVT08 » Oct 25 2011, 1:37am

lzn197 wrote:
SierraVT08 wrote:I have the 4.8L and had the same problem recently, I jump the battery with my old ladies cobalt and it ran fine for a week or so and did the same damn thing. So I ended up buying a new battery from mallwart (only thing open on a sunday around here) and it hasnt acted up since. I love my Sierra but the stock Batteries are plain garbage.

Walmart batteries are garbage.

Cant beat the Return Policy though :lol:
I like my trucks like I like my women... Clean, Can take a beating, and Wont ever give up.
SierraVT08
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Oct 25 2011, 12:35pm

While you are calling your buddies to come give you a jump, I am running the roads! While you are carrying that battery, back to Wally world, I am having fun with friends. While you are standing in line at Walfart, returning your battery, I am at the NASCAR race.
Walmart squeezes suppliers to lower their costs (and quality). If you keep buying from them, some day THEY will have the upper hand becuase all the quality stores out there will be out of business. Think about it.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby SierraVT08 » Oct 25 2011, 12:49pm

lzn197 wrote:While you are calling your buddies to come give you a jump, I am running the roads! While you are carrying that battery, back to Wally world, I am having fun with friends. While you are standing in line at Walfart, returning your battery, I am at the NASCAR race.
Walmart squeezes suppliers to lower their costs (and quality). If you keep buying from them, some day THEY will have the upper hand becuase all the quality stores out there will be out of business. Think about it.

I agree with you in the sense that Walmart is putting the little man out, and Im all about buying american products but when you live in an area like me with two auto parts stores and a walmart and its sunday and you have to go to see your mother because she just had friday and walmart is the only thing open on friday, you can have fun sitting in your driveway waiting until monday for a new battery.
SierraVT08
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Electrical