jQuery not supported.

Disabling rear park assist

Disabling rear park assist

Postby jackboss45 [OP] » Jan 01 2011, 7:14am

My rear park assist is getting on my last nerve. It's constantly switching itself off or freaking out thinking i'm gonna hit something. Searched the posts, and figure its either ice on the sensors or the trailer hitch causing it. Living in Alaska this time of year, i'd have to clean the sensors every five minutes and I'm not willing to remove the hitch. But I'm rambling... What it comes down to is that its a feature I have no use for and wouldn't have ordered (bought the truck lightly used)

I reseached the manual and found the fuse in the schematic. According to the manual, the fuse only covers the rear assist and power liftgate. Anyone see any issues with just pullling it? I'm 800 miles from the truck at work for the next two weeks, but I'll update the results when I get back to the house. That is, unless someone can change my mind first.
Original Poster
jackboss45
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500 HD SLE Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Park Assist   Another Service Park Assist thread - different causes though   disabling automatic locks on a new body style 99 z71.   Assist Steps   Hill assist   Parking Assist   Downhill Assist On A 4 Speed   downhill brake assist   For Sale: Assist steps   Install Assist Steps   Assist step fitment   2014 tailgate assist issues?   Air assist kit for towing   Bedliner & assist step question on my 14 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Disabling rear park assist

Postby EKinMN » Jan 01 2011, 7:22am

I see no issues. It is possible that you will get something on your DIC that says "parking assist off", or something. Give it a try, and let us know.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby rdss » Jan 03 2011, 7:59pm

If you cycle DIC button with a "car and i" you should find it. it is the second one from the top.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby jackboss45 [OP] » Jan 04 2011, 1:29pm

Damn it all, I didn't even think of that... its got its own button on the dash so I forgot about going through the DIC menus. Thanks for the reminder, I'll check it out.
Original Poster
jackboss45
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jan 04 2011, 4:50pm

Just out

Disabling Rear Park Assist
By Blog Post on January 1, 2011 6:07 PM | No Comments
On 2007-2011 Silverado and Sierra models, owners or aftermarket upfitters that remove the rear bumper, install a different rear bumper, add a different box/flat bed/cube box/hitch or make other modifications to the rear of the truck, may need to disable the Rear Park Assist option (RPO UD7) from the vehicle.

Follow the instructions below for the model year of the vehicle involved:

1. For all model years, disable the Rear Park Assist module by removing the OBS DET fuse 20 (10 amp) from the left instrument panel fuse block

2a. For 2007-2009 models, contact Techline Customer Support at 1-800-828-6860 to obtain an Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) calibration to disable the Rear Park Assist option.

2b. For 2010-2011 models, remove power to the IPC for several minutes by disconnecting the battery and then reconnect. When power is restored, the IPC will not see the Park Assist Module (disabled in Step 1) on the low speed data buss. It will reconfigure the IPC without Rear Park Assist. After this process is complete, the Park Assist Warning Messages will not be displayed.

- Thanks to Jim Will
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 125
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby jackboss45 [OP] » Jan 05 2011, 5:58am

Cool. Thanks Z15.
Original Poster
jackboss45
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby pclay » Jan 08 2011, 2:49am

Interesting. I would like to be able to use Park Assist whenever I am not towing, or even when snow is not blocking the sensors. I mean, it is a pickup!

So what is the Park Assist button on the dash for? Is this just a situation where a simple programming change would fix the problem. My dealer has had many complaints about this issue. The incessant "reminders", even when the service is turned off sounds like lawyers are too involved. If not, why is it working (or rather, not working) this way?
pclay
Topics: 1
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jan 08 2011, 3:14pm

I for one, really like this feature. The reason I sold my Avalanche was that I ran over a trash can, and figured it could have easily have been a kid on the sidewalk. Yes, I know...I need to pay better attention when backing...I get that. But still, I just like the peace of mind.
I have found that the sensors have to stay very clean to work well. It's hard to do in the winter. Too much road salt, ice, or snow and they start to freak out. I have an old Windex bottle full of window washing fluid, and I go around and clean the lights and sensors every (or every other) morning, and I have no issues.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Return to Electrical