jQuery not supported.

Doors unlock and lock on their own while driving

GMC Sierra

Doors unlock and lock on their own while driving

Postby spicefball2 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 5:31am

I have had a lot of problems recently with my 2007 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4x4. The headlights and dome lights will flash when I hit my brake. Radio will make a pop sound when brake is hit. Doors will unlock and lock on their own while driving. Service stabilitrak and traction control warnings will come on. RPM and MPH gauges will turn off an on. When I turn the truck off, all power is gone and truck will not start. If I wiggle the positive battery cable I am sometimes able to get power.

I have had it to the dealership a dozen times over the past month. They have replaced battery and have put in a new firewall voltage regulator (hope that is what it is called). It works fine for a day or so but then goes right back to losing power.

I can tell when it is going to act up before it starts. I can tell because the brake will make a click sounds when I hit it, and the radio will make a pop sounds. Also, my headlights and dome light, and dash lights will dim when brake is hit. I am now thinking maybe a bad positive battery cable since i can wiggle it and get power back, but I also think there could be a short in the brake light switch. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Original Poster
spicefball2
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Both rear doors will not lock or unlock??   Problems with Door lock/unlock?   Remote Door Lock/Unlock Receiver Location   88 Sierra- doors wont lock, windows dont work   Unlock New radio   Unlock button on driver door not working.   replacement doors   Manual to power doors   Doors unlocking randomly   Different ohm speakers in doors   One push, all doors unlocked?   Extended Cab Doors   help both front doors stuck shut   installing two way speakers in doors of 2009? 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Doors unlock and lock on their own while driving

Postby SilverSurfer » Sep 30 2013, 6:49am

Do you have a top post battery or side post?

On side post batteries sometimes the bolts on the cables wear out and won't tighten properly. Those bolts are cheap and easily replaceable.

With top posts, if the battery has been replaced, the clamps may not have been installed properly. The top of the clamp should be below the top of the post. Because of the taper of the post, if the clamp isn't far enough down it won't clamp tightly. Some shops install corrosion rings under the clamps which sometimes keep the clamp from going on far enough.

Check these things out before you worry about the other gremlins... poor battery connections are the #1 cause of electrical problems.
1 1/2" Rear Drop........................................................3.73 Posi
Spectre CAI..................................................'Vette Servo Piston
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 31
Blogs: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby spicefball2 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 1:57pm

It is a top post battery and I did check all of that. If I have a short someplace will it shut down my electrical system? And would wiggling the positive cable restart the system? The last time a wiggled the cable the truck got power back, but it wasn't enough to start it so I had to jump start. When the truck loses power it makes all kinds of noises through the radio and a clicking sounds through the door locks.

All of this begins when my brake pedal is pushed.
Original Poster
spicefball2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chewie37 » Sep 30 2013, 2:09pm

Probably a dumb question, but is there a trailer wiring harness in play? Only reason I ask is something similar happened to me on my "other" truck. Bought an '01 Tacoma years ago and had the "factory" tow package installed at the dealership. '01 happened to be a body style change, and, as we found out, a bit of an electrical change too. Dealership initially put an '00 harness on which didn't have the right pin-out for an '01. When I stepped on the brake, the left turn signal would start to flash. :) Got it sorted by putting the right year harness on.

May not be at all a factor, just putting it out there for thought.
ImageImage
chewie37
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby spicefball2 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 2:23pm

The truck came with a towing package, so I don't know if that would come in to play or not. I'm leaning towards having the positive battery cable and the brake pedal switch replaced. Any thoughts on that?
Original Poster
spicefball2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chewie37 » Sep 30 2013, 3:06pm

Yeah, the towing harness idea was kind of a shot in the dark. I'm certainly no expert but I'd think you're on the right track by starting with the simple stuff first. Battery cables can be sneaky to where the ends may look good but there could always be "hidden" corrosion going on under the insulation. Just a thought, but if you're going to do the positive, consider doing the negative too. Yeah, it's extra $$, but hopefully not too much. Brake switch could be certainly be a culprit as wel and that's another one that shouldn't dent a wallet too horribly.

Along those lines, any chance of a bad ground somewhere? There's usually at least 2 on a vehicle - engine & transmission generally, and maybe a couple more hiding too. That's been giving me some fits on my Firebird. . .
ImageImage
chewie37
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby spicefball2 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 7:31pm

Just had my brake light switch replaced. Cost me $75 for parts and labor. Won't know for a few days if it makes a difference or not as this problem seems to go away for a little bit but then comes back. Hope it helps, and if there are any more suggestions out there please let me know.
Original Poster
spicefball2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chewie37 » Sep 30 2013, 9:14pm

Well at least you were a little under the standard "Everything costs at least $100." :) Hopefully it helps.

Also saw your comment in the "Intermittent electrical shutoff while driving" thread. Curious to see if some of those items there are in play too. At the same time, wow. I know keeping modern vehicles maintained is a bit of an expensive proposition, but some of the comments about $330 for a positive battery cable replacement or $500 for a ground replacement kinda freak me out. I've heard second hand that some hourly labor rates can drift up in to the $150 range in some cases, and yeah, copper is goofy expensive these days, but those numbers seem weirdly high. No doubt it's more me not having the full picture and/or being out of touch on repair costs.
ImageImage
chewie37
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby spicefball2 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 9:23pm

Yep, everything is in play what I wrote on both threads. I tried contacting GM directly but it seemed they were uninterested since truck is out of warranty. 2007 with 96K miles. There was a similiar incident that the dealership had dealt with but was able to find water in the tail light that casued a short in the electical system. Once that was fixed the guy never had a problem again. For some reason that is why I think it has something to do with the brakes.
Original Poster
spicefball2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Oct 01 2013, 2:01am

Spicefball2,

I'm terribly sorry that your vehicle is giving you so much trouble. I would like to get involved and offer my assistance. Please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next