Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dual Alternator Kits

20K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  cumminsmannow 
#1 ·
Ok everyone. Basically I'm thinking about tackling a project of making dual alternator bracket kits that would allow you to run at least 2 alternators (I'm going to try and make one that will fit 3 if needed).

It would be made out of almost half an inch steel plate and have high quality hardware used with it. It will be manufactured in the USA (thank god something still is). These kits usually go for around $350. I'm just shooting a ballpark price out there but depending on how many people are interested and how expensive the manufacture is going to be it will roughly run between $150-$200.

I'd like to get some feedback on who would want one so I can get a rough idea of how many I should have produced with the first batch here in the next few months.

If you don't know what a dual alternator kit is. Here is a link to the cheapest one Austin could find.

Thanks again for any feedback you can give!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm......I might be interested if it was made out of aluminum......

#8 ·
Plus you could run a larger power inverter to power tools and other stuff.

#9 ·
Thanks for looking into this Luke300zx. :)
I'm not sure why we're debating the pros and cons of using a second alternator, that isn't really what this topic is about. Luke is considering manufacturing these brackets for resale and he is doing his research first before jumping into it. He didn't even say he was going to run 2 alternators!

BTW, I found one for $329.95 at Nations Starter & Alternator and for $269.95 at DC Power Engineering

Attachments

#11 ·
Well the benefit of running 2 alternators is less strain on them, more options of higher output alternators to go along with your OEM one.

Think about this scenarios-

Scenario 1: You put a sound system put in your truck. Having 1 alternator of OEM size to constantly fill the battery puts a lot of stress on the alternator, thats why they offer capacitors, so the alternator refills the battery after it refills the capacitor...cap gets filled, battery is recharged....once cap is low, it gets refilled by battery, then alternator refills the battery, instead of alternator on 100% of the time trying to fill it CONSTANTLY. By having 2 alternators you can have 1 (OEM) recharge the battery for OEM accessories like heated seats, headlights, interior lights, etc, while the 2nd alternator (might even invest in a high output one) for the sound systems recharging.

Scenario 2: Off road lights, or other high powered electronics. You can power the lights with 1 alternator and your truck with the other, or if you're towing a trailer by the time you get to your destination you can have the second alternator power everything in your trailer (Cold fridge when you arrive at the campsite??? No way!!).

I mean you don't NEED dual alternators but what if your OEM one goes out? Oh thats right. You have this 2nd high output one that you normally use for misc things to get you home so you can get the OEM one fixed.

See where I'm going with this? lol

#13 ·
I see Luke. I guess a practical app could be running accessory outlets for power tools and such.

So how do you calculate the new serpentine belt length? Running a piece of twine around the pulleys?

#16 ·
And don't forget the power to the mini fridge full of beer!

#18 ·
lzn197 said:
I've gotta admit, the picture that Austin posted of these systems looked pretty cool! Friggen meltdown central!
I'm already running two alternators in my van and it is awesome. I've got all the power I need to run all the air suspension goodies and compressors, switches, relays, digital gauges, electric fan, etc. I removed the air conditioning pump and mounted up a second 200 amp alternator. 200 amp on the Left, 105 amp stock on the Right

Attachments

#23 ·
I know this is an old post, but where did you end up with this? I am getting a Mechman 270a alternator and would still like to run my stock alternator. I will be drawing 405 amps with my trucks stock electrical and my car audio equipment.

Factory NBS Silverado and Sierra like my 2008 Sierra with dual electronic fans and fog lights draw 148 amps. Then add my 3700wrms stereo and you end up with 405a. So a 270a alternator + the factory 145a alternator is 415 amps. Perfect for my stereo and still gives me room for more draw amperage such as my 400w power inverter.

If you guys are wondering the pros for this, just check out this calculator. Its a great calculator and gives you an idea on what kind of current you will be using.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/pages/A ... ulator.php

#25 ·
has anybody bought this kit or built one? I am thinking about building one myself but they all say that they come with an exciter wiring harness relay. What exactly is in this harness? they dont show any pics of it so I cant even see if there is anything in it besides a jumper wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.