jQuery not supported.

Electrical issues with NBS silverado HELP

Electrical issues with NBS silverado HELP

Postby HOD913 [OP] » Mar 06 2013, 10:50pm

I have a 2007 new body silverado getting these codes P0230, P1682, U0101, U0109, U0121 AND U0140. The truck has a really short crank cycle and when it does start it does not always shut off it will stay running with key turned off. Engine light is on and so is service stabilitrac.
It had a really small battery in the truck so I went there first cause everything points to loss of voltage and loss of communication. I put a yellow top in it and That did not change the issues. I'm drawing a blank could it be bad BCM? Or maybe wiring to BCM? I have upgraded the power and ground wires for the truck as well. HELP
Original Poster
HOD913
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 crew cab ltz
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Electrical Issues with 2500 Silverado help   2 Electrical issues   electrical issues   Three of the NBS most common issues   Bought a new truck, seems to have a few electrical issues   GMC with some minor electrical issues   4WD issues 07 NBS Sierra   Small interior and exterior electrical issues   2011 Silverado Electrical Issue   2010 Silverado Crazy Electrical Problem   07 nbs silverado climate control   Huge Electrical Problem on 05 Silverado After Pulling Fuses   2007 NBS 6 L Vmax LTZ Silverado   Help on how to relearn tps on a2007 nbs silverado 5.3 z-71 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Electrical issues with NBS silverado HELP

Postby Lonewolf70 » Mar 07 2013, 3:43pm

This sounds like a mess. Wiring is a possibility, but there are too many codes from too many different systems to be the BCM in my opinion.

Code P0230: Fuel Pump Control Circuits
Engine speed over 400 rpm, system voltage from 6-18v, then the PCM detected that the Actual and Commanded state of the Fuel Pump driver control circuit did not match for at least 2.5 seconds

Code P1682: PCM communication fault and is set when there is or has been low battery voltage during or prior to cranking and starting. If voltage to the Power Control Module drops to less than 9 volts during ignition ON prior to cranking or during cranking the diagnostic system will set the P1682 code and turn on the service engine soon light.

The "U" stands for network communications, basically the different control modules talking to each other.

Code U0101: Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module (TCM)
I am not familiar with this code, but I am guessing that the lost communication is between the PCM and TCM.

Code U0109: Lost Communication With Fuel Pump Control Module

Code U0121: Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module

Code U0140: Lost communication with Body Control Module (BCM)

It is possible that a battery that is weak or to small for the vehicle will set the P1682, my question is did it come back after you replaced the battery?

My concern would be with the lost communication codes. It is my understanding, and this may have changed since I last attended an automotive class from a manufacturer, that all communications are routed through the PCM. I know that Dodge started using a single wire to communicate between all of its modules, the J1820 or something like that, in the late '90s. The PCM decides who it will "listen" too and when; if there is nothing to listen too, then it trips the code for that module. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in if I am wrong. So, with that being said, the next step would be to: A. find out what are they call communicating with (my thought is the PCM) and B. what wire or wires do they communicate over (single or multiple). I do not have a wiring diagram for that year Silverado, so I cannot say, but I would find one and check the continuity of the wires between the modules.

While I am all for fixing my own vehicles, there are somethings that are just extremely difficult to do at home. We just don't have the information and tools that we need to be able to make accurate decisions and tests. Since there is no such thing as a cheap control module, sometimes it is cheaper and less frustrating in the long run to have someone diagnose the problem.

Sorry it is not a simple yes or no answer.

Jim
Lonewolf70
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby filstoy » Mar 08 2013, 1:45pm

Lonewolf is probably right. Without an advanced scanner like a Tech 2 or something and the proper service info it's next to impossible to diagnose some of this stuff. I used to be a quality auditor for GM and when I would see something with multiple codes like this it usually wasn't too major as the BCM's were pretty reliable and most we got back were not actually bad but just bad connections and such. The are certain components that will throw codes (like the TPS) that at first glance looks like you blew out half the vehicle. Without the right stuff though you'd never find it.
filstoy
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1988
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SALES@CAI » Mar 08 2013, 1:50pm

Wow, good luck and hopefully you can get it diagnosed and reparied quickly and without breaking the bank to much. Definitely sounds like a major wiring and/or computer issue. That seems like to many things to go wrong at once, which leads me to believe your computer is bad. Keep us posted!
Sales / Customer Service
http://www.ColdAirInductions.com
www.facebook.com/coldairinductions "Like" us on Facebook - Monthly Giveaways!!
SALES@CAI
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 24
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users

Postby HOD913 [OP] » Mar 08 2013, 4:48pm

I did find an article that gave some ideas to look for on chaffing wires. I did that and the truck starts and shut down properly now and the remote start is working again.
But the door locks and gauges still cycle ecspecially when i hit bumps and that leads me to beleive either a plugs is loose or wire is grounding some where.
Original Poster
HOD913
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SALES@CAI » Mar 08 2013, 4:55pm

Good to hear, it sounds like you are on the right track to getting it figured out!
Sales / Customer Service
SALES@CAI
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users

Postby filstoy » Mar 08 2013, 5:39pm

I don't have a schematic for 2007 but on my 2009, IP and door locks are tied to the same grounds . The grounds that would likely cause that for the right side locks is Under the right front I/P defroster deflector, near the right A-pillar. Left is under the left front defrost deflector near the left A-pillar. Hopefully yours is the same and you can trace it back from there. It shows the IP grounds to both of those. If it's an aftermarket remote start I'd be looking at where they tapped in to the harness. Glad you didn't run out and buy a new BCM.
filstoy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby HOD913 [OP] » Mar 08 2013, 5:46pm

yeah me to cause i almost did. and thanks i will look at those grounds. i think it is something under the drivers dash though. it looks like they might of had an alarm at one time and removed it so there is some wires not tied up and clipped i need to look at.
Original Poster
HOD913
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby filstoy » Mar 08 2013, 6:14pm

On the drawing I have it looks like those are under the dash and run up to the metal frame for the dash.I agree with you though. That's why I mentioned an aftermarket remote start or alarm system. They all tie in to the same place usually. My son used to be an installer at Best Buy and people would bring in systems they tried to install themselves. I'd help him if he got stuck and I've seen many similar to what you are experiencing. They would use those little pinch clips or splice into wires and cause intermittent problems by not making solid connections. Wiggle things around in that area and you'll probably find it. It's hard enough to find a problem when something just died. It's a whole different ballgame when somebody cobbled it up and it's not like the schematic anymore. Those darn intermittents can drive you nuts. Good luck.
filstoy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SALES@CAI » Mar 08 2013, 6:40pm

DIY weekend warriors can definitely cause havoc when it comes to electrical connections. I bought a Sierra right out of HS from a younger guy whos trade was an electrician, my dad and I never seen wiring so wrong in a vehicle! It was a mess trying to figure out everything, but we finally got it all straightened out in the end. Good luck OP, sounds like you are getting closer and closer to getting it solved completely!
Sales / Customer Service
SALES@CAI
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Next