jQuery not supported.

Fuel, Battery & RPM Gauge - Not Working

Help with non-working gauge cluster

Fuel, Battery & RPM Gauge - Not Working

Postby MGAMBLE [OP] » Mar 14 2011, 4:04pm

Hey guys I am new to this forum and so far I am enjoying all the info. I have a problem, my fuel gauge has quit working and it is sitting below the empty level. My battery gauge has quit working also and it is all the way to the right at the bottom. My RPM gauge won't go past two. Can you guys give me any answers to what might be wrong with these gauges?
Last edited by Trumpster1 on Mar 14 2011, 4:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed all caps and re-wrote entire post to comply. Please do not use all caps when posting, thanks!
Original Poster
MGAMBLE
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 EXTENDED CAB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Fuel, Battery & RPM Gauge - Not Working

Postby koolz71 » Mar 14 2011, 5:22pm

Well i was gonna say your fuel gauge float was stuck, but with all the other stuff, im not really sure. Sounds like ur stepper motors that control the gauges. Im sure others will chime in and help you out
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Mar 14 2011, 6:22pm

I don't have access to wiring diagrams but the first place I would look are the fuses to see if any are blown or corrosion within the fusebpx. Have you recently added any electronic devises? Recently done ANY electrical work on this vehicle? Had the cluster out? My gut reaction, assuming you have proper power and ground to the cluster is a failure within the instrument cluster. I hope this helps.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby MGAMBLE [OP] » Mar 14 2011, 6:39pm

I have not done any upgrades at all. First it was my fuel gauge that stopped and I thought it was maybe the float. Then a few months later the battery gauge quit working and Saturday i notice the rpm gauge quit working. I don't know if this is related or not but some ofthe lights on my steering controls, radio controls and a/c controls have gone out. That part started about 4 years ago.
Original Poster
MGAMBLE
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 EXTENDED CAB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jreagan » Mar 15 2011, 6:32am

Almost certainly the stepper motors. You can buy them on ebay and replace them yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron. If not, lots of folks around (including ebay) that repair the dash clusters.

I don't think it is related to your steering wheel issues.
jreagan
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4 long bed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mevans0486 » Mar 21 2011, 8:27pm

jreagan wrote:Almost certainly the stepper motors. You can buy them on ebay and replace them yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron. If not, lots of folks around (including ebay) that repair the dash clusters.

I don't think it is related to your steering wheel issues.

Agreed, it is your stepper motors. I have had the same issue and did the repair my self, not that big of a job. You can buy the motors on ebay, set of 6 would was like $39. You should do all of them at the same time, they will all eventually do the same thing. And yes you can send the cluster off for repair, but it is so much more expensive!!
Mevans0486
mevans0486
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 14
Year: 2003
Extra Info: LS 4.8L V8 Ext.Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kamz71 » Mar 24 2011, 1:21pm

check around before you send it out, if that's what you do, to see what the turnaround time will be. i had a 2005 i sent the cluster out and had it back less than a week later. they can also repair back-lighting issues on some other components such as climate control and stereo heads, as well. some will say you can still drive it without the cluster, cuz you can, but i wouldn't for obvious reasons...
kamz71
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Year: 2001
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2004sierra » Mar 25 2011, 12:54pm

I have a 2004 sierra and my tach and temp. geauge stoped working the dealer said they put out an extended warenty on it but mine ran out in feb. go figure it is worth calling then to find out it will save you alot of money!
2004sierra
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 17
Extra Info: Stepside 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bobert » Mar 28 2011, 8:17pm

I have an 04 Sierra, and I am experiencing the same problems. My temp gauge, and battery gauge are pinned down and to the right. I have lost my door chime, and the light on my duel climate control...Could this all be related to the stepper motor?
Bobert
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jreagan » Mar 29 2011, 4:24am

I can't see how a bad stepper motor would loose the chime (which is part of the radio system) and the lights for the climate control. That sounds like a loose wire harness or something.
jreagan
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4 long bed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical