Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Fuel gauge is wacked out; anybody else seen this?

9K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  runabout879 
#1 ·
I have the '01 2500HD with a 6L and 150K miles. Lately the gauge is screwy. When the tank is between empty and 3/4, the gauge usually reads fine but fill it full and it goes nuts. For example: if I just filled up and start it up the gauge will drop to E and the message center shows low fuel. As am driving the gauge will go up and down sometimes reading 1/4 or 1/2 and back to empty. Then somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 actual fuel level in the tank the gauge seems to go back to normal until I fill it up again. Anybody else seen this?

#3 ·
Had this on my GMC Envoy. Needed the fuel level sensor replaced. Was covered under extended warrenty so that and another thing only ran me $100 but I don't know what the real bill was. Only downside was the repair place's request to have the tank as empty as possible since they had to drop it from the vehicle.

#4 ·
Thanks fellers...I'll try the tank sensor replacement when I get tired of it. Also saw some similar posts where people were able to use a tank cleaner and premium fuel to fix the sensor without replacing it. Has anyone else had success with this?

#5 ·
My 2000 1500 does that as well... from what I have researched its a common quirk. Chevy should have issued a recall for this. I dont have the $$ for a repair so I have been watching my odometer and I try to fill the tank completely each team.

What is the fix for this? and have I missed a recall for this problem?

#6 ·
Fuel guage problems are relatively common with the C5 Corvettes. It has to do with some fouling of the sending unit sensor, I believe. The cure is to add one or two bottles of Techron or Seafoam to your gas tank. After the problem resolves itself, just add a bottle of either of these additives a couple or 3 times a year and the problem is cured. This is for the Corvette. But I'm adding the Techron to all my vehicles since today's fuels apparently don't have enough of the additives to keep these sensors clean and working properly. It may be something to try before you invest in new guages or sensors.
Glen

#8 ·
Its the fuel level sensor that is in the tank itself..I replaced the one in my wifes trailblazer..I just got a letter saying they are now paying for future and past repairs..The design is crap..the sensor is a bunch of fine wires that make contact at different points that look just like your fuel gauge..those fine wires curl over time causing readings to be inaccurate..

#11 ·
OK, I just ordered the fuel level sensor from "partsgeek.com" for $21+shipping. I don't think I will ask GM to reimburse me. I'll let everyone know if that works...after I get it installed.

#13 ·
I'll let ya know....it just arrived Sat. and I got to empty my tank before installing the sensor.

#14 ·
First post here, just found this place while researching a starter motor replacement for my silverado.

Anyway, I have this same issue. Had it since I bought the truck used a few years ago. Mine is a 2000 silverado 5.3L Z71. I just keep an eye on the mileage and fill up as needed.

Interesting that some have had success with seafoam or similar. The dealer wanted ~$250 as I recall to replace the sensor. I'm gona try Seafoam.

#15 ·
So I got the new sensor installed and that was definitely the problem. The old sensor has 2 brush style contacts that ride on a double pick-up track; at least that's the way I describe it. The brushes weren't making contact through the whole sensor travel. Also the float pivot was worn pretty bad and was allowing too much slop in the travel. The combination or worn pivot and worn contacts was the cause of the "wacky gauge" in my case. It was no picnic getting the tank off with no lift; I had to put the rear whells on ramps to get the back high enough to roll the tank out. I'm glad that's done.

#16 ·
i had same issue and we replaced the whole unit pump and all took us about 2hrs i guess prob solved ...must be an common issue because both of my last chevys i had to change them....i just figued if im going to be in there anyways might as well change the whole unit cost was only 165 for new pump

#17 ·
Ripper, about how many miles did you have on the Chevys (approx.) when the fuel sensors went bad? Mine started it around 145K. Anyways, I almost regret not changing the whole unit but then again the sensor was only $20. If I ever have to replace the pump, I know exactly what to do.

#18 ·
1st truck was an 99 1500 i guess we changed that 1 at around 120,000 and the 2nd which im driving now is an 01 2500 hd and that was around135,000 go figue.... i changed the whole unit while i was in there just to be safe cause it is kinda a pain in the a** so i was going to do it once, i have a friend he wants to change his and that truck only has a little over 100,000 from what ive seen here and in the real world it should be a recall issue..but i still love my chevys .good luck ...

#20 ·
Yeah, I've had that happening for the last 40k miles. First it was just after fill-up. After the top 1/8 tank was run out, it would read true. But in the last 20k miles, it's been all but between 1/2 and 3/4. Tuesday afternoon the fuel pump went out on me right in front of where I work. I was planning to spend a good amount of time on Black Friday to replace it, but I'm not sure if my friend will be available to help me lift the bed off. The truck is sitting in 6" of snow at the moment, and only getting deeper. Unfortunately, living in Alaska, the fuel pumps cost quite a bit more. I'm looking at around $330...installing it myself.

#21 ·
my 2001 gmc 2500hd 6l has done that for about 7 yrs now, tried different cleaners from the local gmc dealer, it did not work...just reset trip meter everytime.....thinking the pump will quit working eventually then do it all at the same time.........
could be worse....neigbor down the road had a older chev pickup, he was stopped on the side of the road one day putting a jerry can of gas in, said fuel gauge don't work and fill it over 1/2 it leaks out....! lol

#22 ·
runabout879 said:
Yeah, I've had that happening for the last 40k miles. First it was just after fill-up. After the top 1/8 tank was run out, it would read true. But in the last 20k miles, it's been all but between 1/2 and 3/4. Tuesday afternoon the fuel pump went out on me right in front of where I work. I was planning to spend a good amount of time on Black Friday to replace it, but I'm not sure if my friend will be available to help me lift the bed off. The truck is sitting in 6" of snow at the moment, and only getting deeper. Unfortunately, living in Alaska, the fuel pumps cost quite a bit more. I'm looking at around $330...installing it myself.
Hey runabout879, I would look at getting the part online from "partsgeek.com" or some other supplier...much cheaper. Oh and if you can get the rear end up on jack stands about 8" high, just drop the tank from underneath with ratchet straps then drain it and install the new unit. Took me about half a day by myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.