Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Headlight, turn signal, hazard light problem

11K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lionking222 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am brand new here and desperate for some help. I have been searching for answers for hours on the internet with no luck and I found this site! I have a 2000 Sierra 4.8L 4x4 extended cab. It has about 112,000 on it. The other day I noticed that my headlights (and subsequently my dash lights) were always on, even in the daytime. Yesterday my turn signals stopped working as well as my hazard lights. They won't do anything. My brake lights work fine and hi/low beams too. I have found a lot on the internet about the drl mode problem but didn't find anything about the turn signal/hazard problem with the drl issue at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Thad

#2 ·
WELCOME to the best site on the net for your truck!

I am not a total expert, but a lot of members have discovered issues with their grounds. Check you ground wires for corrosion. Also, let us know what mods you have done to the truck that could potentially affect the electrical systems.

Good Luck!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will check that out.

As far as electrical mods...I installed a flip-down monitor in the ceiling with hookups for a playstation mounted in the back corner moulding. I have a power inverter mounted under the seat to plug in the video game system that is wired directly to the battery. This has all been in the truck for 6-7 years so I am not sure if this plays a part in this new problem I am having.

As for other mods it's pretty simple. I have a soft tonneau, hard plastic mud flaps, window vent visors, bug shield, carbon fiber taillights, blue HID headlights, and font tinted windows to match factory rear tint. I also upgraded to a set of 16x8 American Racing crome rims with 265/75/16 tires. This gives a huge improvement in the appearance because the truck now has a slightly wider stance. I also think the 265 tires look way better than factory 245's. The best part is that it required no suspension mods and it doesn't affect the speedo or gearing at all.

I'm glad to be a part of this site. There is a lot of great info here!!

#4 ·
***UPDATE***

I figured out last night while playing with the turn signal lever that if I pushed it forward the lights would work again. While I was moving it around it would make a buzzing sound? Sometimes the hazards work and sometimes not. The signals seem to work all the time. This leads me to believe that it is a problem with the turn signal lever/steering column???

I have still been searching the web for answers to this problem with no luck. Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks

#5 ·
I have since replaced the entire turn signal assembly and I have no problems with turn signals or hazards. The headlights still come on every time I start the truck. I have to hit the "dome override" button by the headlight controls 4 times to turn them off. It's probably an easy fix but I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.