jQuery not supported.

HELP with 2003 Silverado Electrical Problem!!

HELP with 2003 Silverado Electrical Problem!!

Postby mevans0486 [OP] » Sep 30 2010, 3:53am

Ok,
The DW used the truck today while I took her car to the shop. She called me said the truck was ticking when she tried to start it. It obviously did not have enough power to start the truck and she had to get a jump. She got the truck home and when I got home, I was able to get it started, but just barely. Put a multimeter on the battery, battery was low, but the alternator was still putting out plenty of power. So I took the battery out and took it to Autozone to have it tested. Battery was indeed bad, so I bought a Duralast. Got it home, hooked it up, and the truck fired right up. Took it for a test drive to make sure everything is running, everything seemed OK at first. A few minutes later I rolled to a stop and the truck died. It fired right back up, but every time after that, when coming to a stop, the battery gauge would drop, lights would dim, and the truck would almost die. Now reading from another post suggested I remove the negative terminal for about 5 minutes, or press the brake to bleed the power to reset the computer. I did this and the electrical issue is still present. I turned on almost everything electrical I could on the truck and had the DW hold the brake down and put it in reverse. This lowered the RPMs of course, I put multimeter on the alternator and it was still putting out plenty of power, the battery however was slowly losing a charge. In about 3 or 4 minutes it went from 12.9 to about 12.64 volts. I hope someone has an idea because I am fresh out of them. Guys at Autozone were convinced I had a short somewhere, where as I agree it does look like that from the symptoms, there was no short before changing the battery. Thanks in advanced!
Mevans0486
Original Poster
mevans0486
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LS 4.8L V8 Ext.Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: HELP with 2003 Silverado Electrical Problem!!

Postby stevecssy » Oct 01 2010, 5:34pm

Pull the alternator and have it tested OFF the truck. it sounds like an issue i've ran into several times. when the battery goes "bad", sometimes one or more lead plates inside will kind of welds its self to the one next to it causing an internal short which can be the reason the battery no longer holds a charge. when the alternator is trying to charge a completely discharged battery, it can overload the alternator and cause internal damage. you may see the correct voltage range on your volt meter, but the amperage is probably out of the acceptable range under load. Give that a try and let us know. I hope this helps.
Steve Cossey
1995 GMC Sierra
4.3 Auto
Almost a quarter million miles !
stevecssy
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1995
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4.3 Auto
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Austin » Oct 01 2010, 6:53pm

This sounds exactly like the issue I had. I don't know what is with these trucks but every time you discharge or charge the battery the electrical system wigs out. I think it gives the computer a minor heart attack. I wish I could help more but disconnecting the battery fixed mine.

Oh and P.S. I replaced my battery with a Duralast Gold and I hate its guts. Next time I will get a real battery.
chevy astro vans, gas scooters, chevy truck forums | contact me
<?=while ( try() != $success ){ again(); echo "learn and earn"; }?>
Austin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 39
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 SLE
Group Membership:
Supporters
Administrators
Registered users

Postby mevans0486 [OP] » Oct 01 2010, 9:09pm

The electrical gremlins must not like the cold, after the next day I have not had the problem. Strange, kinda makes me worry it is going to rear its head again at an un-opportune time. Thanks for your suggestions.
Mevans0486
Original Poster
mevans0486
Topics: 14
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LS 4.8L V8 Ext.Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical