Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Horn not working

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ol dude 
#1 ·
I have a 99 5.3 Silverado, and just recently the horn stopped working. The horn I tried replacing is the one in the passenger side front part of the fender well.

-I dont think its the clockspring, as the cruise control still works.
-I've switched the relay with another, both click when pressing horn
-Ive switched fuses around, still nothing
-Even replaced with an extra horn from my last silverado, and it doesnt work.

It seems to be getting a ground just fine. Also when locking the truck past the first lock (for the alarm beep), you can hear a pretty loud click coming from the horn. I put my hand directly on the horn while pressing the lock multiple times, and you feel a click.

Any thoughts? I'm lost with this one. I guess its a possibility that my extra horn is defective, but its driving me nuts.

Are there any other connections to the horn aside from the single harness (green and black wire one) that you plug the horn directly into?

See less See more
#2 ·
A bad clock spring wont affect your cruise control because the cruise controls are in the column not in the steering wheel. However the fact that the relays click when you press the horn confirm that the clock spring is good. If you can feel the horn clicking then its got power going to it and leaves you with two choices. either a defective horn or bad ground. If you want to test the horn the best way is to get 2 test leads or chuncks of wire and hook the two terminals in the horn directly to the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.