jQuery not supported.

Horn not working

Horn works with the alarm system but not when you hit the wheel

Horn not working

Postby hemicharger06 [OP] » Mar 18 2011, 6:52am

Hi Guys, new here, got a weird thing going on. The horn works when you hit the button to lock the truck but when you try the horn at the wheel, nothing. Recently had to have the airbag clockspring and horn contact replaced due to another matter. Checked the fuse and it's good. Any idea why it wouldnt work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Original Poster
hemicharger06
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 6.6 Duramax LBZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Horn not working

Postby Alphatonic » Mar 18 2011, 4:15pm

Not sure about your model but sometimes they have separate horns for the alarm which it prob the horn you hear when you lock it. If you recently had work done to it and now it doesn't work id say they did something wrong! Can you take it back to them?
1994 Silverado K/1500 Z71
155,000m
5.7L
Automatic
Off Road/Tow Package
Previously owned by a very clean Hack-Mechanic

All automobiles are pieces of shit. Chevy's are just the ones worth fixing:)
Alphatonic
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1994
Extra Info: K1500 Z71 350 Auto
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hemicharger06 [OP] » Mar 18 2011, 5:17pm

My truck is a 2004 Silverado LS 4x4. The horn didn't work when I bought it but the dealer I took it too had to replace the contact for the horn at the wheel. They wanted another $112 just to keep looking at it and I figured I could fix it myself. I figured it was just a fuse or something but there was only 1 fuse for the horn. I checked the inside and under hood fuse blocks, it was in the under hood block with a horn relay but that was it. 15A fuse was good. I guess now it would be the wiring?
Original Poster
hemicharger06
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Mar 18 2011, 6:49pm

More than likely it is the horn switch in the steering wheel. Mine is intermittent in cole weather on my 2004. Could also be related to the broken clock spring repair. Why did that go bad?
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby hemicharger06 [OP] » Mar 18 2011, 7:03pm

Long story, bought the truck from an independent dealer and on the way home, the intermidiate shaft connecting the axle to the steering column came completely off. Luckily I wasnt moving very fast when it happened. I was able to get it back together and get it to a Chevy dealer and apparently if that happens the clockspring is either damaged or breaks. So the dealer I bought it from paid for that part and the new horn contact and the labor to fix it and make sure I put it back together right. Turns out it was some moron working at Les Schwab that did a front end alignment the week before that forgot to put that shaft on there right. So if the dealer already replaced the horn contact is there something else in the wheel that's part of it? I would assume that the dealer put everything together correctly when they were in there, but that may not be the case. I dont use the horn all that often, mostly yelling at people that have no business being on the road. I mostly use it just to make sure I locked the truck and since that's working I may not even bother with it any more. But still would be nice to have a truck that was fully functioning. Thanks for all the reply's I love these forums, you can't tap so much knowledge. Appreciate all the sharing.
Original Poster
hemicharger06
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Mar 18 2011, 7:13pm

If you wanted to tackle it, the air bag can be removed and underneith is a wire harness you have to disconnect that is for the horn. I forgot the wire colors. If you use a fused jumper wire, you can ground that wire coming from the steering column and the horn should make the relay click and the horn will sound. If it passes this test, then your horn switch is bad. I believe that is a serviceable part on the back of the airbag assembly. The switch shouldn't cost that much. If it fails this test, then you need to do the same ground the wire test at the base of the steering column.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby hemicharger06 [OP] » Mar 18 2011, 11:53pm

I dont think I want to go through all that, I think if it really bugs me I'll take it to the dealer again and let them sort it out. Thanks.
Original Poster
hemicharger06
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rdss » Mar 19 2011, 7:43am

Izn197, I thought it wasn't safe to work on the airbag system without being certified due to the fact that the airbag could accidently go off. Has that changed with the newer trucks? I personally would be worried about that thing sucker punching me while I was pulling it out even with the battery and fuses pulled, but if that isn't the truth anymore maybe I will that could change my mind.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby EKinMN » Mar 19 2011, 1:55pm

Gordon is a mechanic, and could probably do this one in his sleep. For the rest of us, I would highly recommend letting a pro do anything related to air bag and steering column work. Just my $0.02.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby rdss » Mar 19 2011, 2:17pm

EKinMN, I agree with you completely on all accounts. I just wanted to clarify before someone gets a high speed surprise due to lack of experience. I am sure it is not rocket science but training and experience like what Gordon has takes away a lot of risk and frayed nerves that someone like myself would have.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 17
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Electrical