jQuery not supported.

Ignition switch problem

Ignition switch problem

Postby pburress [OP] » Feb 02 2012, 6:46pm

Hello, Occasionally, when I switch off my '99 silverado and remove the key, the ignition stays "engaged" and is still in (I think) accessory mode. This has caused my battery to run down a couple of times. I'm guessing it's simple mechanical wear on the switch. My question is, do I need to replace the whole switch or just the cylinder? And can I do this without changing keys, ol the same key works for the door locks as well as the ignition?

Thanks!
Original Poster
pburress
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Ignition switch   Ignition switch replacement   Ignition Switch...1993 Sierra   Ignition Switch Wiring Diagram   Ignition Switch with strange issue   ignition switch won't spring back   ignition problem   possable headlight switch problem   Recall - Ignition   Ignition Short?   Need Ignition source   Ignition Coils   Ignition connections, does anyone know what they are?   issue with ignition 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Ignition switch problem

Postby ASTE25ASTE25 is online! » Feb 02 2012, 9:01pm

It sounds like it is actually a worn out lock cylinder. You can buy a complete lock cylinder kit for the truck and replace all the locks so they match. I'm not sure if you can buy just an ignition switch cylinder and have it made to match the other locks by a locksmith.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25ASTE25 is online!
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Electrical