jQuery not supported.

Insturment Cluster Issue!!!!!

All gauges fail...

Insturment Cluster Issue!!!!!

Postby Pilamjake [OP] » Aug 06 2012, 8:13pm

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (5.3L V8). For the past few months I have had issues with the instrument panel gauges. While driving all of the gauges (speedometer, gas, voltage, fluid, etc.) simultaneously fail. Once this happens all of the indicator lights will flash on then go off and the gauges will come back to their proper level. Sometimes it will continue to do this over and over, many times in row. The mileage screen will go off and the 'PRND321' screen will go black. Sometimes it is almost a bright flash while everything is failing. Also, at other times everything will appear to be working fine and the mileage screen will go off and the 'PRND321' screen will go black and the gauge needles will become stuck and will not move. Other times while cranking the truck the gauges will be completely unresponsive. Also once the truck is turned off and the key is out it will still do this because I can see the gauges drop below zero and come back to zero. I have changed out the alternator and that did not fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Original Poster
Pilamjake
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Insturment Cluster Issue!!!!!

Postby Tec3 » Aug 17 2012, 5:51am

here is a quick test , bang on the top of your dash, if it starts to do it then check the connection at the cluster. It seems like it is a connection issue. Or take it to the dealer and have them sweep test the cluster
Tec3
Year: 1999
Variant: Intimidator SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby justlkn » Aug 17 2012, 6:15am

I was leaning towards the connector too. It probably the only way for it to all go out at the same time.
2012 3500HD Silverado LTZ Dually 4x4

Previous:
2011 Silverado 1500 LT Florida Edition 4x4
2006 Suburban LTZ 4x4

justlkn
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 17
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 3500HD LTZ 4x4 DRW
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Pilamjake [OP] » Aug 17 2012, 1:43pm

Thanks for the replies, I have tried hitting the dash and it never fails when I do that. Also, I have unscrewed the cluster and took it out while still connected and gently shook it to see if I can get it to fail on cammand, but it does not. It is very random when it decides to do it. It never seems to do it just when I hit a bump or if I am on a rough road it never matches the pattern of the road. Sometimes when it is taking a fit, its almost like it can't catch up, it keeps trying to work and failing and trying and failing, sometimes doing that 10 or 15 times in a just a few seconds. As soon as the gauges hit the position where they are supposed to be they all drop again and so on.
Original Poster
Pilamjake
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RNGRDVE » Aug 17 2012, 1:57pm

Sounds like you may have an ignition switch starting to fail. I have seen this similar condition on other models caused by the ignition switch.
RNGRDVE
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 7
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 5.3L Z-71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kenpark04 » Aug 19 2012, 7:30pm

I had pretty much the same issue with mine. After an one ignition switch, and an instrument cluster later, it ended up being a corroded ground point on the drivers side frame rail. Take a dremel tool to the ground point and either hit the terminals and bolts with the dremel or replace them altogether. Once you get it nice and clean, spray some sealant over it. After I did this to mine, the problem hasn't come back in over 3 months. It used to happen daily.
kenpark04
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: LS 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby combatdad1948 » Aug 22 2012, 1:41pm

Just replaced the switch in mine yesterday!!! Mine was doing the same thing and one day I went out to leave for work and it was stuck in third gear with no dash lights. It is one of two things the cluster or the ignition! Oh and put the ignition in yourself and save 700 bucks because that is what the dealer will charge you!!! The part is about 250 but the rest is labor. There is a how to on this forum that will show you how to replace it! I wish i would have seen it before I shelled out the cash!! Good luck!
combatdad1948
Extra Info: v8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tec3 » Aug 23 2012, 2:32am

Yeah, you can replace it your self, but then you'll have to tow it to the dealer to get the theft deterrent system programmed.
Tec3
Variant: Intimidator SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical