jQuery not supported.

LED turn signal bulb issues

Front LEDs turn signals work but directional signal indicators stay on.

Re: LED turn signal bulb issues

Postby bbrown [OP] » Feb 06 2012, 2:11pm

Don't worry about the K. That means that the original bulb was a long life (krypton filled) bulb. Has nothing to do with its function. The rest of what you are asking...I'm confused about: " i have power at my tail lights but not the front". So do this mean that you don't have any power to the front at all or just that the bulbs don't light-up? You already tried flipping the bulbs over right? Some leds only work when plugged in to correct polarity (negative and positives line up). Pull the bulbs out and test them with a 12volt battery source to make sure they are not shot and to find out if they are polarized. Hope this helps.
K&N/Custom Intake, Banks Headers & Tuner, Dual FM Exhaust, 8K HID low beams & Fogs, 1100 watt Infinity & JL Stereo, 200A Alt, 3 Batteries, Power Acoustik PD-740NBT, RV camera, Hayden Tranny Cooler, 243 heads, 1.8 roller rockers
Original Poster
bbrown
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 22
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 V8 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Related Topics  turn signal bulb question   turn signal issues.   LED Turn Signal Bulbs?   LED Taillights, turn signal problem?   turn signal malfunction   Turn signal issue   front right turn signal   Turn signal issue   Turn signal probelm   Turn signal issue   Turn Signal Hyperflash   Turn Signal Problems   right turn signal not working   Open turn signal housing? 
Electrical Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby carsonhowe22 » Feb 12 2012, 4:18am

bbrown wrote:Yeah, I want to for sure but I've heard some bad rumors that the LED DRLs will heat up so much that they can melt the housing of some of the older plastics. Mines is a 2001 and I just don't know if the rumors are true or not.

No LED light will melt housings. They produce a lot less heat than incandescent bulbs. If an incandescent bulb won't bother it, an LED bulb sure won't. I have them in my DRLs in my '04 and haven't had any problems.
carsonhowe22
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 55
Blogs: 9
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby carsonhowe22 » Feb 12 2012, 4:23am

bbrown wrote:So I decided to convert all my bulbs (this topic deals with turn signals only) to LEDs and I knew the flasher module would need swapping; so I did that and there are no issues with flash rate. The issue I'm having is with the turn signal indicators in the dash cluster. Whenever the headlights or parking lights are ON the turn signal indicators stay on constantly. This doesn't happen when the lights are off; the signal indicators behave normally then. So, finally my question: Is there any way to make the indicators work properly without installing resistors? I know the LEDs have much less resistance than the incandescent bulbs but the LEDs do light up and blink as if there is no problem at all. I've just got to solve this signal indicator issue. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh, and if I do need resistors; no other option; how many ohms do they need to be? Bulbs are 3157s.

Cheers!

I noticed that you solved your problem but I was going to suggest pulling out the LED bulbs, rotating them 180 degrees, and putting them back in. I remember when I installed my LEDs, I was testing them and one of my turn signal lights stayed on constantly and the other flashed quickly. I rotated them both 180 degrees and they switched. So then I made it where they both now flash quickly. I need to get some resistors now I guess so that they don't do that.
carsonhowe22
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bbrown [OP] » Feb 13 2012, 1:56pm

To solve quick flash, I'd recommend the electronic flasher unit replacement. The load resistors just increase the ohm resistance to fool you old thermal flasher so it's a band-aid at best. The flasher is the better choice. That way your actually seeing the benefit of lower power consumption of the LED bulbs. The flasher modules can be found at most of the chain auto parts stores for about $12 and you only need one that matches the current flasher blade configuration. The resistors are needed for each LED bulb and if the resistance isn't right the flasher will still act wacky.
http://www.ledlight.com/electronic-led- ... -ep29.aspx
K&N/Custom Intake, Banks Headers & Tuner, Dual FM Exhaust, 8K HID low beams & Fogs, 1100 watt Infinity & JL Stereo, 200A Alt, 3 Batteries, Power Acoustik PD-740NBT, RV camera, Hayden Tranny Cooler, 243 heads, 1.8 roller rockers
Original Poster
bbrown
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby lowdwn169 » Feb 15 2012, 1:01am

carsonhowe22 wrote:
bbrown wrote:Yeah, I want to for sure but I've heard some bad rumors that the LED DRLs will heat up so much that they can melt the housing of some of the older plastics. Mines is a 2001 and I just don't know if the rumors are true or not.

No LED light will melt housings. They produce a lot less heat than incandescent bulbs. If an incandescent bulb won't bother it, an LED bulb sure won't. I have them in my DRLs in my '04 and haven't had any problems.

where did you get the LEDs for the DRL and what size did you use :)
lowdwn169
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby carsonhowe22 » Feb 15 2012, 2:42am

lowdwn169 wrote:where did you get the LEDs for the DRL and what size did you use :)

I found the size from Sylvania's guide and then looked on eBay. I have the 03-06 body style, but I'm pretty sure the 99-02 are the same. The turn signal and DRL bulb size is 3157. Also keep in mind that some other bulb sizes will still fit, I know 3057 and 4157 will.
carsonhowe22
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bbrown [OP] » Feb 16 2012, 2:30pm

Original Poster
bbrown
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby 06StormTrooper » Feb 24 2012, 8:38pm

bbrown wrote:I finally figured this one out. The vastly decreased resistance of the LED bulbs caused my gauge cluster turn signal indicator lights to stay on when the truck lights were on. I ended up wiring in resistors on the flasher circuits right at each front bulb. That fixed the problem. I running all LED lights except headlights, fogs, and DRLs.

bbrown I am having the same problem that you had with the indicator. What did you do exactly to fix this problem?
06StormTrooper
Year: 2006
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bbrown [OP] » Feb 25 2012, 7:11pm

Well, two things actually. The electronic flasher solved the flashing rate for starters, then I added the load balancers to the front circuits to solve the dash indicator issue.
Original Poster
bbrown
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby bbrown [OP] » Feb 25 2012, 9:07pm

Just to be a little more specific (was in a rush earlier), you can find the load balancers/resistors at Auotzone or Advanced and you splice them in at the bulb or just behind the front signal light housing. You want to tap them into the flasher circuit only not the parking light constant power. On my truck, I tapped the brown and black wires and the load resistor is connected across. That way, the resistor only affects the flasher circuit and not the parking light power. Hope this helps.
Original Poster
bbrown
Group Membership:
How-to Authors